Kansas State Class of 2019!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone posted their acceptance as well as a gofundme for moving assistance. The advertisement is inappropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I have a gofundme thing that I posted, trying to get some moving money. I removed it. Embarrassing all around anyways.

Good luck with that and congrats on getting accepted!! Super exciting stuff!

Good luck with that and congrats on getting accepted!! Super exciting stuff!
Thanks, I thought it would be worth a shot. I was hoping to find a rich and philanthropically minded vet or vet student as a sponsor. I guess if I got away with it, everyone else would want to. Oh well. ;)
Now I feel like a telemarketer or something.

Thanks, I thought it would be worth a shot. I was hoping to find a rich and philanthropically minded vet or vet student as a sponsor. I guess if I got away with it, everyone else would want to. Oh well. ;)
Now I feel like a telemarketer or something.

Ask someone else that you know in person. Everyone is going to struggle financially to afford to pay for vet school, nevertheless housing and food and etc. Someone who is a "rich vet" is not going to want to spend thousands of dollars of their hard earned money for some anonymous accepted person they found on the internet. And no, vet students are not going to spend more of their money to help you out when they are struggling themselves.
Just my opinion though.

Ask someone else that you know in person. Everyone is going to struggle financially to afford to pay for vet school, nevertheless housing and food and etc. Someone who is a "rich vet" is not going to want to spend thousands of dollars of their hard earned money for some anonymous accepted person they found on the internet. And no, vet students are not going to spend more of their money to help you out when they are struggling themselves.
Just my opinion though.

Thanks for your opinion k80rigs. I realize now posting that here to "pass along" was inappropriate.
I apologize to everyone here for derailing this thread.

I think that you're implying that someone with "hard earned money," certainly wouldn't be charitable enough to help someone in need. I hope that's not true, otherwise no one is getting a scholarship, you lazy students! The nerve!
Not everyone has "someone else" that they can just go ask in person.
If I hadn't been down that road already, to be sure I wouldn't be trying a gofundme. I'm also certainly not asking for "thousands of dollars" from any one person.
I do have some pride and asking for help is embarrassing enough.

I hope that those who are also struggling to realize their dreams know that I wasn't asking for anything from them. I hope you know I'm already very ashamed, so can we please move on?
I really don't need my nose rubbed in it.

I guess maybe I'll see you at K-State! Good luck to you and everyone else!

just got my acceptance letter! though im not sure if they sent out another batch of acceptances or if they delivered mine with the others since my mails been on hold since the beginning of winter break. anyways good luck to everyone and i look forward to seeing you next year!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm arriving today at around 3pm. If anyone wants to hang out to to take our minds off the interview let me know. :)

Last edited:
How many of the interview questions have you guys gone over from the school feedback?

I've been through all of question 1 and most of question 2. For the most part it seems like there are just a few core questions repeated over and over

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have fun! I'm sure it will be a very pretty drive

My mom and I drove from Denver to Manhattan last year and..... yeah, there's not much to look at driving through Kansas, ain't going to lie. At least coming from Colorado. lol.

Good luck at all y'all's interviews!

My mom and I drove from Denver to Manhattan last year and..... yeah, there's not much to look at driving through Kansas, ain't going to lie. At least coming from Colorado. lol.

Good luck at all y'all's interviews!
So true, soooo true :p. Whole lot of nothing for 2 hours lol. But manhattan has become much more suburb like in the past 5-6 years, me and my sister were amazed at some of the stores that now exist there.

So true, soooo true :p. Whole lot of nothing for 2 hours lol. But manhattan has become much more suburb like in the past 5-6 years, me and my sister were amazed at some of the stores that now exist there.

Personally, I think the flint hills are gorgeous. Then again...I'm from Kansas so I might be a little biased.

Ps. People call me crazy because I say that I'll take a view of rolling plains over a view of the mountains any day :p

The drive was great! It may be empty to you guys but for a city folk from Miami, this is a whole new experience. I took the scenic route and even stopped by the vet school. There's a Sonic right next to my hotel!!! Holy crap!!! We get the commercials down in s. Florida but the closest one to me is about 3 hours away so this is only my second time ever eating there. I'm gonna be at Aggieville later tonight so if anyone wants to meet up there let me know. :)

The drive was great! It may be empty to you guys but for a city folk from Miami, this is a whole new experience. I took the scenic route and even stopped by the vet school. There's a Sonic right next to my hotel!!! Holy crap!!! We get the commercials down in s. Florida but the closest one to me is about 3 hours away so this is only my second time ever eating there. I'm gonna be at Aggieville later tonight so if anyone wants to meet up there let me know. :)
Manhattan is a town of doubles. There are two sonics, one on either side of town. Tends to be one of each fast food place on each side of town.

Everyone excited?

There are? I didn't know that lol

Lol yeah. Everything is on Anderson on one side (sonic, McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Taco Bell) then they are all near Tuttle and aggieville. I noticed it when we first moved out here. Seeing sonic and I would be like "wait, isn't that on this street?" Not everything is double.

I am observant about weird crap

Last edited:
TWO Sonics?!? We don't even get one!!!!! I'm twice as jealous and twice as likely to attend KSU now.

I'll be at the pizza social tonight and I am interviewing tomorrow morning. I am both excited and nervous. For those who interviewed already, are the rooms easy to find? I drove to the buildings today but didn't want to wander inside. Hope to meet some of you tonight!

I'll be at the pizza social tonight and I am interviewing tomorrow morning. I am both excited and nervous. For those who interviewed already, are the rooms easy to find? I drove to the buildings today but didn't want to wander inside. Hope to meet some of you tonight!
Everything is super easy to find, no worries :)

I interviewed yesterday, and wanted to wish all who are also interviewing the very best of luck. The people in this town are so crazy nice, I don't even know what to say! Really great experience all around.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed (for the 2nd time) first thing yesterday morning, definitely felt like I got grilled harder than I did in my interview last year and/or other schools... Anybody else get that impression too?

Interviewed (for the 2nd time) first thing yesterday morning, definitely felt like I got grilled harder than I did in my interview last year and/or other schools... Anybody else get that impression too?
I didn't but a few of the girls I talked to said they definitely got grilled. It all depended on who your interviewers were.

Yeah I defintely was asked things nobody else would have been simply because of my background. Good eye opener for the ones to follow though.

I will second Felixor. It all depends on who is interviewing you, and keep in mind in those situations you probably do better than you think you do.

In one of my OOS interviews everyone was walking out of their rooms with huge smiles and saying how amazing it went. I walked to my interview room and I had two extremely tough, dead-pan people who never let me finish talking and grilled me on every hypothetical situation possible. I walked out, then started crying because of how horrible I thought I did. Turns out, it wasn't as bad as I thought and I even ended up getting accepted. Everyone's different of course, but I definitely would say that grilling isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: 3 users
My entire interview was based around my research and while the conversation was friendly, it still seemed like they were trying to "trip me" on some things. "Why is what you're doing important? How would you defend it? Well people aren't rational. Did you do this?" Or I would say something and they would have a counter-argument "Well some people say this".

Overall though, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. I think being confident in yourself is absolutely the most important. I even (politely) told an interviewer that I disagreed with him....we'll see how that turns out :p

I felt like I did pretty poorly last year and got on the wait list. By contrast, I thought I rocked my Iowa interview and was straight-up rejected. I've more-or-less given up trying to analyze perceived interview performance at this point. Maybe they pressed harder on tough questions because they're taking my applications more seriously this time around, maybe it's just they style of the group I was in (it was the Dr. Carpenter group, FWIW) and I bombed. We shall see soon enough.

My entire interview was based around my research and while the conversation was friendly, it still seemed like they were trying to "trip me" on some things. "Why is what you're doing important? How would you defend it? Well people aren't rational. Did you do this?" Or I would say something and they would have a counter-argument "Well some people say this".

Overall though, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. I think being confident in yourself is absolutely the most important. I even (politely) told an interviewer that I disagreed with him....we'll see how that turns out :p
I feel like there is a difference between being grilled and making sure that you are able to see both sides of the coin. And I also feel like there is nothing wrong with disagreeing on an issue, as long as you are doing it politely and explaining your reasoning behind it.

I feel like there is a difference between being grilled and making sure that you are able to see both sides of the coin. And I also feel like there is nothing wrong with disagreeing on an issue, as long as you are doing it politely and explaining your reasoning behind it.

I agree with that. I wouldn't say I was grilled per say, and I don't want to go in to too much detail about my interview, but it definitely seemed like they were trying to catch me on something. Kind of like trying to get me to contradict myself. I still think I did well though. I have to defend my Master's to people all the time so I've got a lot of practice lol.

Overall I'd say the interview was fairly stress free. Just be confident and know your stuff

All of the comments from this weekend are so interesting. Clearly the panel sets the tone and there isn't uniformity in the approach. Mine was by no means a drop in the bucket but I felt I had the interviewers attention such that it became more of a group conversation where they pretty much just asked my opinions on a variety of issues, and also shared their views at points. We didn't banter at all. You just never know what their impressions are and ultimately all we can do is be ourselves and be honest about our dreams :) I'm routing for everyone! I hope we get lots of acceptances in Feb!

Anyone else get this email just now?

Dear Applicant:

From about 1000 nonresident applicants we invited approximately 300 for interviews based on their GRE scores and science GPA’s (bases only on the science courses on our prerequisite list).

To be competitive the interviews your GRE scores had to be at or above the 50th percentile in each part of the GRE and your science GPA had to be at or above 3.4.

Please be aware that following conclusion of this round of interviews we might invite some additional applicants for interviews.

We appreciate that you applied our program.

Ronnie Elmore

I thought that interview were over?

Dear Applicant:

From about 1000 nonresident applicants we invited approximately 300 for interviews based on their GRE scores and science GPA’s (bases only on the science courses on our prerequisite list).

To be competitive the interviews your GRE scores had to be at or above the 50th percentile in each part of the GRE and your science GPA had to be at or above 3.4.

Please be aware that following conclusion of this round of interviews we might invite some additional applicants for interviews.

Ronnie Elmore

BUMMER. I think that means they haven't made their selections from those just interviewed.

BUMMER. I think that means they haven't made their selections from those just interviewed.

It didn't look like this happened last year? At least based on the previous kansas threads. This is also the first I have heard from them though so maybe I have hope lol!

A current student at the interview told me that there was some major scheduling issues with their end of term, so that's why interviews have been drawn out much longer this year. Apparently there is one more weekend of OOS interviews at the end of January. All decisions should go out by mid-February.

Yep, ameropean is right... there are still interviews scheduled to be held January 31st & February 1st.

Dear Applicant:

Ronnie Elmore

Hey! I just got this email too. Does this mean that whoever got this email is still on a weird wait list for interviews? I wanna call and ask..Should I?

Dear Applicant:

To be competitive the interviews your GRE cores had to be at or above the 50th percentile in each part of the GRE and your science GPA had to be at or above 3.4.

I just cant get over the obvious grammar/sentence mistake....

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! I just got this email too. Does this mean that whoever got this email is still on a weird wait list for interviews? I wanna call and ask..Should I?

I don't know that was my first thought especially since I had right on the mark for the GRE and I was above the sgpa that they took...if you do call let me know!

I got this same e-mail and thought to myself, "Soooooo the update to give my grandma and mom is more waiting."

I knew about the final interview weekend cause it is on their website calendar, but I thought it was for IS people. My big question is the last statement, "Please be aware that following conclusion of this round of interviews we might invite some additional applicants for interviews". Do they mean the round of interviews that happened this last weekend, and potential new invites will be coming in the week, or are they talking about the next weekend of interviews. There are still 3 months until the commitment deadline for people to commit to a specific school. If they're having issues with scheduling, they could keep going.

Another question I have is how many people got this e-mail where there is the potential to interview and kind of confirms the idea of an "interview waitlist", and if anyone who has not interviewed got any out right rejections. If that has happened, then that gives more weight to an idea of an "interview waitlist".

Dr. Elmore and pretty much everyone was super nice, so don't be afraid to call. I'm sure they'd be happy to clarify.

Dr. Elmore and pretty much everyone was super nice, so don't be afraid to call. I'm sure they'd be happy to clarify.

Not going to lie, I am extremely socially awkward on the phone. I would be the most useless person to call cause I would stammer for a second then hang up out of fear of them figuring out who the fool is on the other end. lol.

Not going to lie, I am extremely socially awkward on the phone. I would be the most useless person to call cause I would stammer for a second then hang up out of fear of them figuring out who the fool is on the other end. lol.
No worries I got this one!

Soooo for those of us out in limbo I called and apparently both Donna and Dr. Elmore are out of the office today, weird since they sent the email this morning? Anyhow the girl I talked to told me to email them with any questions I may have. Now the question is do I want my name out there lol!