Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Kaplan #3 Diag

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by xoomn, Jul 18, 2002.

1. xoomn

Resident [Any Field]
    I have some question regarding this exam. I took the test yesterday where I am and I scored by their scale a 32 (10, 10, 12). However, I have some question that I could not just answer even though I went over them many times. Please, any who has taken this exam, show your compassion and answer this question or elucidate why the answer are what they are.

Physical Section:
    PII. 73-- D was my answer but they say its' B. Please elucidate
    PIII. 78-- I guessed A and it's correct but don't know why.
    PIV. 85-- I don't understand this question.
    Indep. Ques. 89 -- I don't understand how they got D as the answer.
    92.-- I have totally forgotten how to convert Normality to molarity. I don't know how they came up with the answer
    PVII. 105-- B was the answer, please explain why since I believe its A. :mad: (Y can't I answer these questions?) :confused:
    108-- An increase of 50'C (degrees) to my opinion is a lot of degrees and would not allow water to condense. but they indicated that it would condense slowly? I don't get it.
    PIX. 124--please explain this problem since it confused the heck out of me.
    PX. 127-- I concluded from the passage that at higher altitudes the energy would be greater but I was wrong. Elucidate please.
    Same goes for Q130.
    PXI. 131-- I could not for the life of me figure this one out. The answer was A but I just did not know how to come up with the answer.
    Q133, 136. Did not understand how to solve, need explaination.
    Indep. Ques. 138&139. I did there 5 times, but came up with the same answer. I think the answer key is wrong. my answers where B and C respectively. However, in the answer sheet it's C, B. Please I would greatly appreciate your help.

Biological section: :confused:

PIII.159--how did they come up with the answer?
    PIV.167--What is paten foramen ovale? I have not learned or read this the biology review section. Hence, my answer was wrong. Explaination needed.
    PVII.184-- I thought that the difference b/w a H and 'Deuterium' is that 'D' is a heavier isotope of Hydrogen. therefore, would 'D' not also give a signal in NMR?
    Indep. Ques. 197-- Please explain how they came up with the answer.
    PX.207, 208,209--Same reasoning, I came up with the wrong answer but still do not understand why? BTW, what is AROMATIZATION?
    Indep. Quest. 216-- what constitutes a right shift in Hb dissociation curve? and I thought that the concentration of EPO in the blood can not increase within a day, it would take more like a couple of days before one reaches high levels of RBC.

I know this is a lot of question that I am asking but I urge anyone who has taken this test recently to look over it and give me some insight to these question. Again, I thank you much. :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr/\/\om

Dr/\/\om Senior Member

I suggest that you go to your testing center to look at the explanations for each of these questions.

I will address a couple of them quickly though.

The question stem tells you what patent foramen ovale is. The second Kaplan Biology class session goes through circulation in adults and fetus. Foramen ovale is an opening between R & L atria in a fetus. It allows the blood to bypass the developing lungs. Therefore, if it doesn't close at birth, most of the blood will not go to the lungs and get oxygenated.

look at the bottom left ring of the two molecules. On the product, that ring has become aromatic...hence aromatization

A right shift would mean that the hemoglobin would hold less oxygen (has less affinity for oxygen). This scenario wouldn't make sense. EPO levels can increase in a day...it would take some time for that to lead to more RBCs, but choice D doesn't refer to # of RBCs. (BTW: the oxygen/Hb dissociation curve is also covered in the 2nd biology class session)

Hope this helps you a bit.