Kaplan and AAMC MCAT Questions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopticFezz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been doing a good amount of practice problems from both Kaplan and AAMC. Kaplan questions can be fairly difficult, while AAMC seem “simple” compared to the Kaplan questions. It’s obvious Kaplan wants to make the questions more difficult so their students will have a better understanding, but for people who have recently taken the MCAT how does it compare to the Kaplan questions??

Members don't see this ad.

CopticFezz said:
I’ve been doing a good amount of practice problems from both Kaplan and AAMC. Kaplan questions can be fairly difficult, while AAMC seem “simple” compared to the Kaplan questions. It’s obvious Kaplan wants to make the questions more difficult so their students will have a better understanding, but for people who have recently taken the MCAT how does it compare to the Kaplan questions??

I took one Kaplan test and found it to be pretty much total crap as compared to the AAMC tests. If I had it to do over again, I would just stick completely to the AAMCs as far as practice tests go. By all means read the Kaplan review book, but don't worry about their tests.

OK, I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually found the Kaplan materials infinitely easier than the AAMC stuff. Perhaps it's just the way my brain works, I don't know. For what it's worth, of the two AAMC tests I took, one (AAMC 7) was a decent predictor of my score, though I did slightly better in real life. Kaplan correctly predicted my composite but the breakdown was way off.

Just my two pennies. :)

I thought the sciences on Kaplan FLs were killers, esp the PS section. The verbal was tolerable most of the time but the questions were not accurate of the AAMC. But the passage content was incredibly dry, boring and dense so it prepped we well for the actual MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the Kaplan PS questions were more time consuming than the AAMC, I realized that they helped me better allocate my time to each question. On the Kaplan PS, I would usually end up randomly bubbling in 3-7 questions, but the AAMC questions seemed like a piece of cake . So yeah, since I am glad I did the Kaplan questions because the AAMC PS paled in comparison.

Regarding the BS, the Kaplan questions were somewhat easier than the AAMC questions.

The Kaplan verbal was pretty similar to the AAMC verbal.

Overall, my real MCAT score was 4 points higher than the avg. score for FL 1-5.

My mcat score was exactly the average of FL's 2-5...

CopticFezz said:

i rememeber everyone that had my test form for the April 2005 MCAT wishing they spent more time doing PS section of Kaplal FL's since the real one was so rough... that's what i'm going to focus on this time around...

DrMike24 said:
My mcat score was exactly the average of FL's 2-5...

mine was also! well, my kaplan avg was 32.5, my mcat was 33

my aamc avg was very unreflective, i thought (36.5 avg)

Hi, I just wanted to know how well the EK 1001 series questions compare (in terms of difficulty) to the actual MCATs.

I felt that each Kaplan FL had one section that was harder than the others. For some it was PS, for others it was BS. On my actual MCAT (form CN), I felt the PS section was super-hard, and comparable in difficulty to the hardest Kaplan PS tests. However, the BS and VR sections were nothing compared to the worst of what Kaplan had to offer. So, pretty much, I would tell you don't think the Kaplan tests are too hard, because you could conceivably get actual MCAT sections with comparable difficulty...

Of course, my actual PS score was a point higher than anything I ever got in Kaplan (13 vs. 12), so maybe all of this is in my head.