1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

kaplan and princeton question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by kevin86, Nov 15, 2005.

1. kevin86

kevin86 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It seems kaplan is definitely a lot shorter on hours than princeton? Is it because kaplan is all about practice lots of those tests and little classroom help, while the princeton teaches well?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    While I haven't taken both (I've only taken TPR), I think what you've said sums it up in a nutshell. Of course, the quality of the teachers vary from test centre to test centre. But with Kaplan, it seems that they teach strategies whereas TPR emphases the content. TPR has 5 full length mock tests and *tons* of take home materials, so I felt that there was enough practice opportunites.

4. Khanal007

Khanal007 Member
    7+ Year Member

I echo crazy canuck, but want to add: I've concluded that you can do well on both (example from friends, and in comparison to myself having taken kaplan). it also depends on what kind of learner you are. For me, I need to learn the stuff my own way -- classroom instruction doesn't always cut it.

Think about:
    1) when you are taking the prep course -- during school? If during school, the extra Princeton hours may become a hassle
    2) There is no garuntee on what kind of teacher you will end up with in either princeton and kaplan -- talk around, see if you know anything about the teachers that the companies usually use in the area. From what I heard -- many teachers are crap.
    3) Kaplan has instruction too, but it also requires you to read and review from their sceince review books on their own.

ps, just to share my personal knowledge from the summer. Use the small 50 page EK Verbal Reasoning book -- I took Kaplan, and in july abondoned it's strategy for VR, used EK -- got a 12 on the real thing.