Dec 29, 2012
Status
Is it stupid to use two books for Bio? I'm using Kaplan and TPR for Biology content review. I'm using the newest Kaplan book and the most recent TPR book. I like the Kaplan book because I think it "dumbs" down a lot of the content, makes it easy to understand, and doesn't assume that you know a lot of things. I like the TPR book because, in a lot of the topics, it provides a lot of details and has a lot of critical thinking concepts and questions that you need for the MCAT. However, I'm feeling a little burned out because I feel like I am not retaining a lot of the information. I also haven't really started doing practice passages since I just really started studying full-time. Am I setting myself up for failure by using two Bio books?

Apr 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it stupid to use two books for Bio? I'm using Kaplan and TPR for Biology content review. I'm using the newest Kaplan book and the most recent TPR book. I like the Kaplan book because I think it "dumbs" down a lot of the content, makes it easy to understand, and doesn't assume that you know a lot of things. I like the TPR book because, in a lot of the topics, it provides a lot of details and has a lot of critical thinking concepts and questions that you need for the MCAT. However, I'm feeling a little burned out because I feel like I am not retaining a lot of the information. I also haven't really started doing practice passages since I just really started studying full-time. Am I setting myself up for failure by using two Bio books?
i think using two books isn't a bad idea, and your view that kaplan is easier to understand and TPR offers more depth is exactly the reason why i feel it isn't a bad idea.

when's your test date?

Forkit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2007
Status
You should ditch the Kaplan and watch video animations from McGraw Hill, YouTube, or Khan academy and understand and visualize any Biology you dont understand. Effective and more time consuming IMO

OP
I
Dec 29, 2012
Status
i think using two books isn't a bad idea, and your view that kaplan is easier to understand and TPR offers more depth is exactly the reason why i feel it isn't a bad idea.

when's your test date?
I'm taking it in July. I think it's July 20. So I have about 5 months.