kaplan audition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcernak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a kaplan audition coming up and i'm looking for a good presentation idea. What kind of things have you done/seen at these auditions

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Kcernak... at mine, folks did "how to peel an orange" "how to tie a tie" "how to draw cartoon faces"... etc. I'd recommend something limited in scope so you can do it in the time allotted. It's not a huge deal so relax and good luck! Oh, I did mine on how a corner kick works. So it was very easy: this is when it happens, this is the number of players, these are the rules, and then it left some time for a few examples of strategy.

Best one I saw was "How to do an impromptu talk". Of course it was planned out, but it was great.

Members don't see this ad :)
just make sure it's cheesy and funny...the point is to get a laugh out of them and show them you're a "performer"

unfortunately, i didn't know that, and i actually tried to talk about something intelligent (a 5 minute how to write a resume speech) and they rejected me, despite my mcat scores.

so yeah, just read the directions on a box of macaroni and cheese but make it funny and they'll love you...3 people in my audition did that same presentation and all got hired.

GO KAPLAN!

Just pick something fun that interests you and you should be fine. I did "how to plan a road trip", a girl in my audition did "how m and m's are made" and handed out bags of m and m's. I think almost everyone in my audition got hired, so don't stress too much!

This wasn't for a mcat audition but another teaching position. I did a lesson on origami. I brought in really cool origami papers and we made a cat. It was quick, easy, and didn't need a lot of prep.

G'luck on your interview! I'm sure you'll rock it! :luck:

I auditioned for an MCAT teacher with a gnocchi recipie, and my teacher had auditioned with a chocolate chip cookie recipie. Just make sure its something where you can interact and ask questions. Don't overthink it, keep it simple. Good luck!

I gave strategies for finding a seat on the subway. It worked for me.

I did "how to pick a pair of running shoes" b/c I'm a runner. I was hired. However, this other kid in my audition tried to do something really "intelligent" about sense of self or something (he was a cognitive psych major) and I don't think that went over well. So I'd say stick with something super easy.

how a toilet works. perfect - can be described in 5 minutes, requires creative boardwork (can you draw a toilet?), and is overflowing with opportunities for jokes, puns, etc...

Hi, I had an audition about a year ago for a teaching position...I explained how germs are spread (sneezing). I used props. for instance when someone doesn't cover their mouth I cut out little strips of paper (really tiny) and blew on the paper in my hand to illustrate that germs go everywhere. Next I talked about when people covered their mouths with their hands (instead of inside the arm) germs spread from their hands to wherever they touch. For that I used a latex glove and lotion(germs) I put the lotion on my hand and went around the room touching things....They loved it...I got hired.

I found that while everyone at my Kaplan audition was hired, some failed out of the training class or not assigned classes. One was too nervous, another not prepared. One was an older man, a high school teacher for 30 years, and a super guy. But after MANY talks, he refused to follow the directions of our trainer and just follow the lesson plans because he enjoyed talking in and about circles, and was let go.

Hint: after teaching at least one period of classes, I asked for more money per hour and they gave it to me! They let me bill 5-6 hours for a <3 hour class because noone else wanted those classes. Sure, I wasn't on their favorites list, but they charge the students plenty for those classes. Stick it to the man!