kaplan audition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone here ever done an audition for kaplan before? if so, how soon afterwards did they get back to you?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

about five minutes afterwards.

but I guess I was a pretty awesome applicant. :cool:

(or they were desperate...one of the two)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i think it only took a few days...

they told me on the spot i was hired......then they schedule u for training

I don't mean to thread hijack, but how did y'all like working for Kaplan?

I was thinking about it too but don't know my summer plans yet so I haven't auditioned.

I was thinking about it too but don't know my summer plans yet so I haven't auditioned.

totally depends on where you work. some of the bigger centers are more organized than others (i had different experiences in two different cities). overall, i guess i like it because i've been doing it for nearly 3 years.

bonus - after teaching a year, i think you qualify to take classes for free. think USMLE step 1 & 2 resources for free! :) (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

have you taken the kaplan class? i think it makes it a lot easier to teach if you already know how the course is structured....

What did you guys "teach" in your audition?

I really enjoyed it. I really liked the people at the center I worked at (Champaign, IL), and my students were a lot of fun. Also, it was a pretty efficient and fun way to earn some extra money.

As an aside, I was really on the fence about doing it in the first place, and was actually seriously considering backing out until right before my first class started. However, once I actually started teaching, I found I really enjoyed it. So if you like teaching and you get hired, you should totally go for it...

I teach physics for princeton review and its really sweet. way more freedom than kaplan as far as what u put in ur lecture. u have room to leave things out and add extra stuff in. plus u dont have to teach the whole MCAT so u can get really good at one subject and just continue to teach it over again. i've been doing it for about 2 years and i dont even bring in notes. plus i get $26/hr.

What did you guys "teach" in your audition?

i did a "what not to wear" talk (based off the tv show)

another guy i interviewed gave instructions about how to cross the street.

they just want to see that you can speak in front of an audience, use a board efficiently, communicate your point, etc....so the topic really doesn't matter that much.

Did you guys get to teach the entire course or did you only get to teach specific sections?

When I took the class, I had a soon-to-be med student teach us the entire class but I heard that other centers have teachers teach only a specific subject of the MCAT.

I'm on the fence about the whole situation too but I guess I'll give it a shot if it's been fun for y'all.

I only teach bio, organic, and verbal for Kaplan. I really enjoy it, mostly because for a part-time job it doesn't really feel like a job. And in my area, it's either retail or Kaplan....and retail is awful. :smuggrin:

What other job will let you only work 3 hours a week? It's kinda awesome, actually.

For my audition I taught "how to read a nutrition facts label"... but someone else taught how to buy a piece of meat, and someone else taught how to cook ribs. I was definitely hungry by the end of the auditions.

I teach Verbal/Strategy for one class and Strategy/Bio for another. I think most centers prefer you teach bio/orgo or physics/chem or verbal/strategy if you can only teach pieces of the class. From what I've seen they sort of throw together the schedules based on what people can do anyways. I think it'd be really overwhelming to teach the entire class. Not to mention each center probably has a couple "regular" teachers that have got their particular sections mastered. In fact, you may have some difficulty getting a class to teach depending on where you are.

I've really enjoyed teaching with kaplan, and once you get in the habit of prepping the classes, it's not such a big deal anymore.

I was given a class at the end of the audition.

I was hired immediately after the audition. I enjoyed teaching, though training was a lot of work, and so was teaching the class. I've only taught it once, and I imagine it gets easier the second time around. For my audition I taught how to pack for a hiking trip. One guy did how to change a diaper, someone else did how to take off and put on the cover of your jeep. The topic doesn't matter at all, just make sure you speak clearly, make eye contact, use the board, and are engaging.

i did a "what not to wear" talk (based off the tv show)

another guy i interviewed gave instructions about how to cross the street.

they just want to see that you can speak in front of an audience, use a board efficiently, communicate your point, etc....so the topic really doesn't matter that much.

...i was gonna do how to pick out a matching outfit...

Did you guys get to teach the entire course or did you only get to teach specific sections?

When I took the class, I had a soon-to-be med student teach us the entire class but I heard that other centers have teachers teach only a specific subject of the MCAT.

i told them straight up that i didn't feel comfortable teaching subjects that didn't know above and beyond what's tested on the mcat (i.e. physics and organic)....there's been no problem. (i'm glad i only teach my strengths - it shows when i get my student reviews). while i think kaplan prefers to have 1 teacher teach everything, they will let you "team-teach" a class. as i think someone already mentioned, it probably just depends on the center and how many teachers they have, what areas they teach, etc.

ps...prepping a class for the first time sucks. but for the next cycle, you're golden!