Kaplan Biochem Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatsense

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to memorize every small detail in this book. I've started chapter 1 and it seemed a little overwhelming having to memorize the structures, names and abbreviations of the amino acids.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't need "every small detail" in the book, but you will certainly need to know structures, names, and abbreviations of amino acids. Try to know as much biochem as you can, as it is a large portion of the new MCAT.

After doing the practice questions at the end of the chapter, I got half of them wrong. Is that the normal trend around here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it necessary to memorize every small detail in this book. I've started chapter 1 and it seemed a little overwhelming having to memorize the structures, names and abbreviations of the amino acids.

You'll need to know structures, names, 3 letter abbreviations, 1 letter abbreviations, pka's of all side chains, polar, non-polar, aromatic, acidic, basic, charges on given polypeptide chains at specific pH.

I usually miss about 3 questions per chapter, and I have a pretty good memory. Also, you can memorize the amino acids in a few days if you break them down by polarity and charge.