Aug 4, 2015
Is it necessary to memorize every small detail in this book. I've started chapter 1 and it seemed a little overwhelming having to memorize the structures, names and abbreviations of the amino acids.

Jan 26, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
You won't need "every small detail" in the book, but you will certainly need to know structures, names, and abbreviations of amino acids. Try to know as much biochem as you can, as it is a large portion of the new MCAT.

Aug 4, 2015
After doing the practice questions at the end of the chapter, I got half of them wrong. Is that the normal trend around here?

About the Ads

studentdocftw

M4
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hmm. I usually missed around 3-4 of the practice questions. You'll improve as you go.

Aug 3, 2014
Is it necessary to memorize every small detail in this book. I've started chapter 1 and it seemed a little overwhelming having to memorize the structures, names and abbreviations of the amino acids.
You'll need to know structures, names, 3 letter abbreviations, 1 letter abbreviations, pka's of all side chains, polar, non-polar, aromatic, acidic, basic, charges on given polypeptide chains at specific pH.

El-Rami

5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I usually miss about 3 questions per chapter, and I have a pretty good memory. Also, you can memorize the amino acids in a few days if you break them down by polarity and charge.

About the Ads