Kaplan Books waste of time?

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by Kun, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Kun

Kun

Pre-Medical
    I just started using Kaplan and I've been doing some research. One friend of mine who took the course already said the Kaplan books are a waste of time and the online material is key. I did a couple chapters in the PS book and it was more of a refresher, reminding of some concepts and problems that I forgot.

I am wondering if I should stick to just the online material or read the books as well? Can someone explain how the books did or did not help and how I should use the Kaplan materials?

2. swamprat

Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I use the books to refresh material and the online material for problems.

3. junkct

5+ Year Member

read the books. even if they are completely review for you. Pretty much everything was review for me as well, but you'll be surprised at how much you've forgotten. Also, it helped me understand some of the stuff a whole lot better (especially in bio). definitely NOT a waste of time.

4. spootbat

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I found not only the books, but also the online AND the $1200 course to be a waste of time. I hope that helps.

5. GolfMustang07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I loved the books. Very good and well structured. PS was great! I went from a 7 on diagnostic to a 13 on the real deal. You can also jump 2 just by memorizing and understanding formulas.

Read both the bio and phys books twice... i even took notes on each chapter

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. seelee

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Personally, I found the Exam Kracker books to be the most helpful. I found several typo's and oversimplifications in the Kaplan books.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. emno

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The books are very good and well organized. I ahve not accessed the online material yet.

8. Anotherface

Anotherface Needs to get off ***
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The book is very concise. It has most of the information you need to know in a well organized matter. The books should however only be used as a review. Like your friend I feel the online material/tests are much more useful.

9. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I find it very funny that some people say that the Kaplan review notes are too detailed and others say that it is too oversimplified. Which one is it?

I personally found the Kaplan review notes far better than the EK science books. I simply liked the way they were organized better. Their general chemistry book is my least favorite of the EK books. Also, I liked the font and simpler drawings better. I could care less that EK gives pretty drawings in color. EK loves to skimp on areas, saying that this area is not going to be on the MCAT (and being wrong about it too.). The one thing I did like about EK is how they placed formula lists at the end of each chapter in the physics books.

Verbal, however, EK is king. Their Verbal tips book + 101 MCAT passages book is the closest thing to the AAMC you can get. Johnathan and David Orsay are amazing at showing you the ambiguity of the verbal section, Kaplan course isn't worth mentioning in that area. In fact, the tips provided in their purple comprehensive book is far superior to the gimmicks they provide in the actual course.

I did Kaplan sciences/online practice stuff in combination with EK verbal and raised my MCAT 6 points. (26 to 32).

10. luxaeterna

5+ Year Member

The Kaplan science books are great. They were instrumental in my preparation and got me a 38 overall. But, to each his own; if its not working for you, find something that does.

11. drold2011

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you guys mean by the "online material"?

12. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    section tests, full lengths, online workshops, and the rest of their practice materials.

13. 9000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does the online material come included with the class course or is it only for the online course purchase?:)

14. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Both. The class is basically the online course + live lectures.