Kaplan class size?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting kaplan tonight --> 6pm - 10pm diagnostic class, and 7-10pm every tues/thursday + weekend classes.

Just wondering, how big on average are kaplan classes? It'd be nice if they were ~15, closer to 10 rather than 20.

In addition, using EK AudioOsmosis vs Kaplan study books...it really does seem that kaplan pays way too much attention to detail. They throw so many details at you that you forget to remember the broad concepts it seems --> While EK looks at the big picture.

What do you all think about Kaplan and their emphasis on all the nitty gritty textbook details? Also forgot to mention that reading through the kaplan books is like reaidng through a text book

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Turkey,

Class sizes vary widely. I've taught some with as few as 6 people, and others with as many as 35. Most fall somewhere in the 15-20 range; my current class has 18.

I don't agree that Kaplan pays too much attention to detail, particularly in the classroom. Students are expected to study a lot of the science on their own that we do not get to cover during class. If you are asking whether the books are too detailed, I think perhaps you could make a case that the biology ones might be. For example, I never saw a single question about the hormones, which was heavily stressed by the course. But, you never know what questions you might get on yours, so....

Hey Turkeyman,
I'm in a Kaplan class currently and we have 11 students in my class. I agree that Kaplan's books go to much into detail. I use EK as well to study. When I'm not sure of the content or idea that's when I refer back to my Kaplan book to elaborate more on the big picture that I was missing while using EK.
Just hang in there and remember do a lot of practice test. That really helps I've noticed that in the past few weeks.

Thanks for both your opinions, one frm a kaplan teacher and one from a kaplan student --> What I want to ask both of you(I hope you'll agree on this fact) - is it just me or were some parts of the kaplan diagnostic ridiculously difficult?

Haha I wanted to walk out of the classroom at one point and go live in a trashcan

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh heh, if you thought the diagnostic was bad, wait till you see the midterm. lol. :smuggrin:

In all seriousness, I do think that the Kaplan tests are harder than the real MCAT. I took the diagnostic plus all five of the Kaplan practice tests that are an official part of the course, and then I took the real test this past August. On the real test, I scored two points higher each on the PS and VR sections than I ever did on any Kaplan test. My BS score was the same, which means nothing in this context.

Other people will tell you that they scored lower on the real test, particularly in VR or BS. Most students seem to agree that the Kaplan PS questions are harder than real MCAT questions, though.

I took the Kaplan Diagnostic and I scored really bad. However, when I took Practice Test 1 I was concerned that it may have been a bit easier than the diagnostic. I guess I'm being paranoid about it but I just thought it was easier....I really want to see how well I can do on the next practice test.

I'm taking the Early bird Class which is 6 months long......

PHD_2007 said:
I took the Kaplan Diagnostic and I scored really bad. However, when I took Practice Test 1 I was concerned that it may have been a bit easier than the diagnostic. I guess I'm being paranoid about it but I just thought it was easier....I really want to see how well I can do on the next practice test.

I'm taking the Early bird Class which is 6 months long......

That is the class that I teach for my center, and I think it is the best one to take, especially if you also have a full class load or work load. As far as the practice tests go, try not to focus too much on the scores, but rather on learning to think like the testmaker and understanding what kinds of errors you tend to make. I know that this is practically superhuman, but.... :laugh:

I suppose this is a little off-topic but I just had to throw the question out there. Is there anything we, (Kaplan students), can do about a terrible Kaplan instructor??? Mine is totally unprepared to teach the course. He wastes so much time reading his "script" and then gets half of the stuff wrong anyway. 90% of the time we have questions, he can't answer them. To make matters worse, he jokes about not wanting to be in class! I'm totally frustrated and feel like the 3 1/2 hours I sit through those classes are completely wasted. Yes, that's right... I DID say 3 1/2 hours. And sometimes he doesn't even finish the lecture. :(

Overall, I'm happy with Kaplan for the extra materials etc... but still, we are paying a LOT of money to be in that class.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Is there anything that can be done??

Miraflorina,

You and your classmates should go speak to your center manager. If the center is too busy for you to just drop in to speak with the manager, call and ask for an appointment with him or her. It's likely that s/he is not aware that there is a problem with your instructor, especially if this person is new, so please inform the manager at the next possible opportunity. Sometimes students are reluctant to do this because they worry that the instructor may "get in trouble" or be fired, but generally Kaplan will try to give a struggling instructor further training, or will have that person tutor rather than continue to work as a classroom instructor. But if the manager is not aware of the problem, then nothing will get done about it. In any case, it does no service to you and your classmates to have an instructor who is not helping you and is not prepared for classes, and you have every right to ask for the problem to be fixed. Good luck, and I hope the rest of your course goes more smoothly.