bonvivant07

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,

so I work for Kaplan and they said I can take either the DAT online or the classroom prep for free. So money is not a factor, but which one do I choose?

I will have a crazy semester next semester. taking 24 credits of science and doing two research labs.

The classroom meetings twice a week for about 90 minutes I think. So should I take the online or classroom? Thanks for any advice, pros and cons of either one!

bing12

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Status
Dentist
i took both the classroom and the online for DAT( both at different times obviously.haha). I honestly thought the online was phenomenal. I thought it was going to be horrible, but ended up being great and convenient. DEFF do it online, esp if its inconvenient to go to class. The instructors are great and they have atleast one Teachers Assistance to help you with any questions you have if you type in the question in the kaplan chat.

txlonghorn

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Are you crazy? Why would you take that many hours all together?

I wouldn't recommend either. The classes are a waste of time and the practice tests have errors in them. The workshops are the only thing that are worth looking over for Kaplan. Since it seems you will not have much time next semester (since you have decided that you want to kill yourself), you should self study. At the end of the day, a class will not help you get a high score - your time invested in learning the material will. I would pick up the Cliff's AP Bio book, Kaplan's Bluebook, Chad videos, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Crack the DAT PAT, and TopScore (and achiever if you need more practice). This will cost you a little less than the Kaplan course and will help you prepare more. I think you can even buy some of the Kaplan workshop stuff - I saw someone selling it a while ago. Good luck!

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Are you crazy? Why would you take that many hours all together?

I wouldn't recommend either. The classes are a waste of time and the practice tests have errors in them. The workshops are the only thing that are worth looking over for Kaplan. Since it seems you will not have much time next semester (since you have decided that you want to kill yourself), you should self study. At the end of the day, a class will not help you get a high score - your time invested in learning the material will. I would pick up the Cliff's AP Bio book, Kaplan's Bluebook, Chad videos, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Crack the DAT PAT, and TopScore (and achiever if you need more practice). This will cost you a little less than the Kaplan course and will help you prepare more. I think you can even buy some of the Kaplan workshop stuff - I saw someone selling it a while ago. Good luck!
I second this. Self study would fit your schedule much better than Kaplan. Plus after getting diagnostically destroyed 2 years ago, they really left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention Kaplan is 3 times as expensive as going the self study route.

BTW 24 science units makes me cry. :wow:

Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
What an intense schedule, I agree with txlonghorn 100%. What are your grades like? Do you ace everything? Do you have a photographic memory? If you are a benign genius, go ahead but if not, that schedule is not ideal for killing the entire DAT.

I took both at different times, found the online to be much better. Instructor just didn't have many quality tips, you could stumble onto a genius though. With your schedule,
Online is the only option.

OP
bonvivant07

bonvivant07

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey all,

Sorry haven't been keeping up with the thread.

The reason I am taking so many credits is because I am double majoring, doing a BS and a BA. And I can't do summer classes because I usually do research in the summer.

I don't have exceptional grades at all. I am about a B student.

As for the cost, like I said in my original post, I work for Kaplan as a part time job so I get it for free.

I ended up signing up for the live classroom. It's once every sat til april I think. I'm taking the DAT in June. Is July too late to take it though?

Thanks for all the responses! I def. won't be using Kaplan as the only test prep. I am also using Destroyer and Crack that Pat