KAPLAN course or save my money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDFlosser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a recent thread I mentioned taking the DAT Kaplan test prep course, and someone says it's a waste of money. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this...

I tend to learn best just by reading and lots of practice (which is how I did well on the SAT in high school). But, I know there are some "tricks", especially for the PAT section.

So, the question is, should I spend the $1100 on the in-class course, or spend a couple hundred on some books/online test-prep? :)?

Members don't see this ad.

I tend to learn best just by reading and lots of practice

If this is truly how you learn best, then you definitely need to save your money. The classes are a total waste of time (the instructors just read out of a binder) and the material is not any different from the Kaplan blue book you can buy at any bookstore. The one good thing about Kaplan is their online resources. I took all of their practice tests and did all of their online workshops and it helped quite a bit. It really just comes down to how comfortable you are in investing over a thousand dollars on an "OK" course. Also, are they giving a discount for the in-class price? Because I remember it being around $1399.

Before Kaplan- I flirted with a ~20 on various practice DATS. (I had CDP,Destroyer,Schaums,Cliffs)After Kaplan, I got consistent 20+.

I suggest getting it. It's expensive as crap, but it's better then saying "I could of done better had I taken the course." I don't think the lectures are good, but the online material they provide is key to doing well. Lasly, don't skimp out on such an important test that will determine where you go for the next 3-4 years of your life.

I remember some guy that got 30/30/29 on his DAT and said KAPLAN was integral in getting those scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, Kaplan should be based on where you currently stand. There are people that need a LOT of help with studying for the DAT and there are others that do not.

Among many things, I feel that Kaplan gives unmotivated students a strict agenda. For others, this agenda is not needed. There are other things that Kaplan gives you that you may find much more significant.

The material is good...but the Destroyer is good as well. So, to me...no it's not worth the money. But to someone else, it could be worth every minute.

IF I had the money, I would do it. But, I used that money on tons of materials to study with on my own.

Before Kaplan- I flirted with a ~20 on various practice DATS. (I had CDP,Destroyer,Schaums,Cliffs)After Kaplan, I got consistent 20+.

I suggest getting it. It's expensive as crap, but it's better then saying "I could of done better had I taken the course." I don't think the lectures are good, but the online material they provide is key to doing well. Lasly, don't skimp out on such an important test that will determine where you go for the next 3-4 years of your life.

I remember some guy that got 30/30/29 on his DAT and said KAPLAN was integral in getting those scores

I don't believe it. Not saying you're lying. I just don't buy it.

Woops! I meant 30 bio 30 chem 29 ochem. His name was ucladds1 or something. Go look it up he said kaplan was very good practice.

And yeah I wouldn't believe a 30/30/29 either lol my bad

I think it also depends on when you're going to be taking your test. I'm taking the DAT right after school ends and knew that I wouldn't be able to balance test prep with my 20 credits of science classes (yuck!) this semester. I'm in a Kaplan class now, and it's been an awesome way of keeping up with DAT review while I'm in school. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're really busy and think you might need an extra push to study it's great. Their online study materials are pretty good also.

The DAT Online course is great because it gives you practice in the form of how the actual DAT will be- on a computer. I took most of it, however there are soooo many workshops/quizzes/section tests/subject test/etc, that it is impossible to do it all. After taking diagnostic full length test, midterm fl test and final fl test, they do reports telling you areas to work on that you will get the biggest bang for you work. I actually scored a couple points higher on my DAT than I did on practice Kaplan tests. Overall though, I feel like it did the most for my in the perceptual area which I feel like I could have gotten the help from other sources.

Purchase all the non-Kaplan material (destroyer, etc.) first and after some practice tests (TopScore) if you are not achieving the desired scores THEN look into Kaplan ONLINE.

If you know you can study by yourself and be efficient, absolutely save your money. I've personally heard 2 director of admissions at separate schools say its a waste of money. I personally think its worth it if you really have trouble motivating yourself to study.

Purchase all the non-Kaplan material (destroyer, etc.) first and after some practice tests (TopScore) if you are not achieving the desired scores THEN look into Kaplan ONLINE.

Will do. I think I will take a KAPLAN practice-test after my own studying and see where I stand. If I'm not up to par, I'll go rob a bank and buy the class :D

Muhaha.

Thanks.