Kaplan course vs buying just Kaplan material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakers2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to compare and decide whether I should sign up for 1) Kaplan course or 2) just buy the Kaplan materials that people sell after the class.

What am I missing or cannot get from buying just the after-class materials (i.e Blue book, Flashcards, Quicksheets, Subject Tests)?

Is the "subject tests" that people advertise when selling the same thing as the 3500 practice questions?

I suppose I'll be just missing the 6 CBT and midterm and final right?

In the Classroom

• 14 three-hour classroom lessons
  • Targeted instruction by a Kaplan instructor
  • A diagnostic exam for DAT-style Critical Thinking, and Content, all with personalized feedback
  • Lessons incorporating Critical Thinking Skills throughout your content, allowing skills to become second nature by Test Day
  • Over 3,500 practice items with explanations for the right and wrong answers. These are separated into Subject Tests for content and Critical Thinking and Full-Length tests for pacing and stamina
  • Lessons-on-Demandsm for online viewing of class sessions
Online Resources

• Personalized student homepage
  • Full access to all Kaplan Materials in your online study center
  • Homework before (Previews) and after (Reviews) each lesson
  • Online content workshops with quizzes with performance tracking
  • Flash-animated explanations for PAT
  • Kaplan's Smart Reports™ provide advanced computer analysis of homework and practice test results that identifies individual strengths and weaknesses
  • Lessons-on-Demandsm—free online make-up classes
  • 6 Online CBTs in Test Day Format
Home Study Materials

• Comprehensive Lesson book and complete Review Notes with class work and homework assignments
  • QuickSheets and Flashcards for on-the-go study of science concepts and formulas
  • Complimentary two-way headset

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of those things that you have to decide on your own. These are some of the questions that you should be asking yourself to see what choice is right for you...
1. Am i disciplined enough to FOLLOW and make a schedule every week and STICK to it? if NO then you def. need the COURSE.
2. Can I research on the internet on unknown material or am i lazy?... if you are lazy yes then you need the course b/c everything is at one place... they even have workshops which makes things easier...
3. Can you bargain for the course? Absolutely just say you got this discount in email for $200 off... or if you are a president of some club what you can do is take an appointment w/ your local kaplan center manager and explain to him how helping you can help their business grow... and tell them that you will advertise for their course etc... you can even bargain for greater discount.
ps. i dont work for kaplan lol

Kaplan is the biggest waste of money and time. Save your money and buy various online resources. Ex.) Destroyer, Crack the PAT, top score, kaplan blue book.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of those things that you have to decide on your own. These are some of the questions that you should be asking yourself to see what choice is right for you...
1. Am i disciplined enough to FOLLOW and make a schedule every week and STICK to it? if NO then you def. need the COURSE.
2. Can I research on the internet on unknown material or am i lazy?... if you are lazy yes then you need the course b/c everything is at one place... they even have workshops which makes things easier...
3. Can you bargain for the course? Absolutely just say you got this discount in email for $200 off... or if you are a president of some club what you can do is take an appointment w/ your local kaplan center manager and explain to him how helping you can help their business grow... and tell them that you will advertise for their course etc... you can even bargain for greater discount.
ps. i dont work for kaplan lol

This is the straight up truth. I didn't use the Kaplan Course and I did fine, but I didn't do anything but study for three weeks before my test. On the other hand friends of mine took the course and did well too. Just depends how disciplined you can be on your studying and covering material

Thanks all for the advices. I guess I'm kind of in the middle between creating a schedule and sticking to it. Right now, I think I just lost motivation probably due to not getting in anywhere despite a TS of 22 since 2 years ago. The other problem I think is as I focus on studying one for a week, I began to forget the other stuff. I was thinking maybe going through one of these classes may help remotivate me to focus and study harder after work. I realized I can save money and time, but just not sure when I keep on hearing many people say it's a waste of time and money.

If you don't take the class, you cannot get 6 CBTs exam right? Are all their test database worth it? Thanks again.

Lakers2k9,

They have soo many workshops, quizes, subject, section tests..etc...
Regarding motivation... I guess if you surround your self w/ people who have similar goals such as studying for dat this raises competition and also set schedule will give you enough motivation to score high.

well the test it self is 225~$ which is a lot of money the kaplan course is 1100$(tell them you have this 200$ off coupon so the will give it to you for 1100) dont call the company but call individual kaplan centers near you... so you might even work out a better deal w/ them...
i dont care who tells you its a waste of money. if you got a 1k why not... Plus if you have to repeat the test that's another 225$. and probably more testing material since you exhausted what you have already.
the 6CBT is good only on the computer b/c of its realistic conditions.
it will keep you busy.

I know a lot of people say its a waste of money. Well for me its the best 1k that i have spent.

-even if you do take the course or not. I see you tend to study but feel that you forget the previous learned stuff. That is normal almost everyone feels that way. But when you practice you will actually remember and you will be amazed by what you can remember.

Its great to hear that you did not give up. Keep you head up. You did it before... which mean you can do it again... but dont keep this attitude but study even harder...

I've heard the course is good if you can't discipline yourself and need regular lessons with assignments and such to keep up.

I bought the books separately, and I've been fine. The only thing I wish I had was all the online material they get access too. Apparently there's a lot of practice tests and practice problems, and I wish I had that. Right now the realy practice tests I have is Topscore, and there's only 3 of those.