Kaplan course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start studying for the DAT soon. I plan on applying next fall, but I'm not sure when I'm actually going to take the test yet. Hopefully early on in the summer.

Anyway, I'm going to get the DAT Destroyer and the Barron's AP Bio book. I was also looking into the Kaplan book and also the class. I want to use the best study options without wasting my money. Has anyone taken the class and/or do you think it's worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very hot topic and has been covered many times.

Here is the most recent thread that Ive commented on:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582948

and here are my comments:
"As a not wealthy predent who forked over a lot for the class ... i would personally not recommend the class to anyone, rich or poor. The first time I took the DAT after taking the class = not so good, 0 interviews and a reapply, second time after studying on my own, reading SDN posts to find the best materials = 9 interviews and 4 dental school offers so far!"

i took the class and here's how i felt about it:
the actual class/lecture itself was not really THAT helpful, you will only learn during class if you did the assignments beforehand, and the hw they give you is a ridiculous amount to stay caught up. also, the stuff they go over lecture is really all in your book. the PAT and math classes were helpful, as well as the reading comp, but the sciences you're pretty much on your own to learn (since that is what it will take to learn it).
The online materials are EXCELLENT though. take the practice tests, and try to do the workshops cause you do learn stuff from there. go over your answers, take notes, and you should be good :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i took the class and here's how i felt about it:
the actual class/lecture itself was not really THAT helpful, you will only learn during class if you did the assignments beforehand, and the hw they give you is a ridiculous amount to stay caught up. also, the stuff they go over lecture is really all in your book. the PAT and math classes were helpful, as well as the reading comp, but the sciences you're pretty much on your own to learn (since that is what it will take to learn it).
The online materials are EXCELLENT though. take the practice tests, and try to do the workshops cause you do learn stuff from there. go over your answers, take notes, and you should be good :thumbup:

Is the workshop something different than taking the class? and can you purchase the online materials without going to the class?

I'd say to take the class if you find yourself having trouble organizing how to prepare, they give you a pretty good outline.

Also, the online stuff is where I found about 90% of the value of the class, the workshops were great and the section tests had at least a paragraph explanation for each question. So if you're feeling organized already, I'd say to just go for the online stuff.

The Kaplan classroom course is not meant to teach you new material. It is meant to enhance what you have already learned in your science courses throughout X years as an undergraduate. It was an excellent review tool, but I have to agree that the Kaplan online workshops and quizzes helped me the most. Online lecture is a waste of time.

I felt that my classroom instructor was excellent as he answered questions and explained things to make us see the big picture and offered little hints of how to remember things. I have heard horror stories from other people who have taken the kaplan classroom course and they said that their instrucor just basically read from the book and was a complete dummy.

Kaplan classroom got me motivated to study. It got me re-interested in the basics that I learned in my first and second years. It made me start questioning things - mostly things that I forgot, but also paradoxes and things that I had to research which I hadn't thought of the first time I learned the material.

Basically it drove me to study more at home - which is absolutely necessary to do. The kaplan classroom won't get you a good mark. With the help of other resources (namely the kaplan online materials) and some time, improvement will come in due time.