kaplan courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CALIN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!
I wanted to know has anyone done the kaplan course for nbde 1? does it worth ? or it's better to learn with decks andkaplan books?
please answer....
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi,i had the same question,has anyone taken the kaplan course and does it really help.

Hi guys. I am doing the course here in India
Frankly speaking, the Micro video is pathetic. Even Path seems to be just ok as the guy just reads off the lecture notes. But the Biochem, Anat and physio tapes are amazing. I used to hate Biochem.. I kinda like it now
Still, if you can manage to get hold of the lecture notes, it would be sufficient. Video would give you a few extra info now and then but otherwise, everything is mentioned in the notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
CALIN said:
hi everyone!
I wanted to know has anyone done the kaplan course for nbde 1? does it worth ? or it's better to learn with decks andkaplan books?
please answer....
thanks

I have never taken the course at kaplan but i went there many times and was thinking like you that should I take it or not. Finally I did not take it because I have all materials that kaplan has except the tapes.

Kaplan material for part 1 includes 1. kaplan book
2. some video tapes ( can use only at kaplan)
3. kaplan 7 exam booklets
4. Qbank
5. release exam with explaination

So you have to consider by yourself. Noone can tell that you should or should not go. The good thing when I went to kaplan was I met many people (5-7) who are in the same boat as me. We were talking and encouraged each other.

Hope it help!

Hi guys,
thanks a lot for your answers.

Hi Ajay Das can you please tell me if you know whether the Kaplan video tapes for Medical and Dental are same for Basic Sciences or they differ, and if they differ how much large difference or just a slight change ?

Hmm.. Wondering how do I answer 8-D
We get to see [ahem] [cough] edited version of USMLE tapes. Basically, what they think will not be asked, they have cut them off. Other than that, it's no different from USMLE. So you can safely guess that Indian Kaplan Centres don't have Dental Anat tapes at all since that subject isn't covered in USMLE.
But I love the Lecture Notes. We get XEROXED abridged copies of the USMLE books!!! Afterall, we pay only Rs29,500 compared to Rs60,000
I don't know about Jamaica dude
Having said all this, lemme add that Indian Kaplan is not actually run by the Kaplan people. It's being run by 'Indo American Education' [or something] company which has taken a franchise from the parent group. So as long as you are outside India, the experience may differ

Here Is My Opinion On The 5 Mnths I Did At Kaplan. The Videos Were Poorly Done And Will Not Prove To Be Of Any Help For The Exam. However If You Can Make Some Type Of Connection With An Employee There Who Will Let You Do The U.sm.l.e. Step One Videos They Are The Greatest In Your Effort To Building A Base For You. You Must Look At The Usmle Work Sheet For Video And Pick Out Only The Videos That Cover Our Basic Sciences Or At Most There Areas Where You Are Week.

Also Get A Group Together If You Can And Study Half The Time With A Group And Half The Time On Your Own . In The Group I Would Recomend That You Study Only Questions Together. I Was Lucky Enough To Study With 4 Others Retaking The Test And We Did Nothing But Questions. We Went Through Each And Evry Question Together In Subejects Until All The Questions Were Done We Did Not Mix Up The Subjects.

If You Cant Get Into A Group Or Dont Have The Funds To Do Kaplan . You Will Be Just Fine Buying The Book 2005 Edition.

You Can Pass This Exam With 6 Mnths Preperation Using:

1. Kaplan 2005 Book
2. Dental Decks
3. Exams
4. Usmle First Aid
5. Group Studing

You Must Study Every Day Even If You Work And Just Review What You Did On Your Days Off. This Is A Must. Be Calculative Break Down Your Days And You Studying Hours And Just Start To Chip Away.

It Is True That I Did Not Get A Great Score But When I Passed I Went Up:

1. 5 Pts. In Micro /path
2. 19 Pts In Bio/physio
3. 24 Pts In Anatomical Sciences

These Are The Hardest Subjects.

So You See It Does Work This Plan.

Have Faith In The Exam Questions There Are A Lot Of Repeats.
Remember Each Exam Is A Random Exam So You Will Get Either A Good Exam Or A Bad Exam. There Is No Substitute For Not Doing The Work Or Cutting Coners.

Give Me Feed Back And Let Me Know If You All Agree.

God Bless And Good Luck

- Bill Fixensmiles01

Thank you both Ajay Das and Fixensmiles01 for your valuble advise