Kaplan didn't help me improve my MCAT now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmoore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently scoring 490. I need to score 506. I used Kaplan but my score did not improve very much. People have told me to review material so I have started using Khan Academy but I need some sample test since I no longer have Kaplan. Where can I buy more practice test?

Also if you have any suggestion about how I can improve my MCAT I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best practice test resource will be the ones offered directly by AAMC. These include the Official Guide Questions, Section Bank Questions, un-scored practice test, Scored FL practice test etc..

If you haven't had luck using Kaplan content to review for MCAT, I would highly recommend giving different test prep's a shot; for example ExamKracker's contents, personally I used these for my main content resource and Kaplan books as supplement.

Reactions: 1 user
If Kaplan didn't improve your scores, consider talking to a Kaplan rep to see if you could get any sort of refund.
Additionally I would recommend trying out some of Princeton's review material - I'm sure there are packages you could buy that include just the material. Additionally, even though a private tutor may be expensive, you should think about it if you're really serious about scoring higher. They can help you with the areas that you're struggling in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rhinzaz will ExamKracker help me with the NEW MCAT? Also do you have any suggestions for how to cover content? There is so much should I just try to read every chapter and make notecards?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you score under 500 it means you need to strengthen your content knowledge. Kaplan exams are content heavy, so having strong content knowledge should be scoring you higher.

Rhinzaz will ExamKracker help me with the NEW MCAT? Also do you have any suggestions for how to cover content? There is so much should I just try to read every chapter and make notecards?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Personally I find the EK books are rather concise and straight to the point, which I reckon is what you can benefit most; to establish the basics & concepts. What I can't recommend is to 'read every chapter and make notecards', since study habits should be tailored effectively to different students. What I did find helpful is, understand the core basics first; for example basic quantum chemistry (helpful for Chem/Orgo) and amino acid composition (MUST know for bio/bioc/). Then build on this in understanding the harder concepts you read about later.

It's better to understand the concept rather than memorizing every chapter through notecards etc. The MCAT will reward understanding of concepts rather than a regurgitation of memorized facts.

Reactions: 1 user
Content is something you pick up during your prereqs, and then refine during content review for the MCAT. You have to learn to logically think through situations with your content knowledge. The content are your tools for the task, but you have to do the work.

If Kaplan didn't improve your scores, consider talking to a Kaplan rep to see if you could get any sort of refund.
Additionally I would recommend trying out some of Princeton's review material - I'm sure there are packages you could buy that include just the material. Additionally, even though a private tutor may be expensive, you should think about it if you're really serious about scoring higher. They can help you with the areas that you're struggling in.
Do you know of a good place to get a private tutor?

I think I've seen someone say something like this before. Is it actually true that, once you break 500, differences in scores are due to test taking ability and not knowledge?

Not exactly, but scoring under 500 would mean there are tons of content based questions being missed.

Not exactly, but scoring under 500 would mean there are tons of content based questions being missed.
Yes I know I am struggling with content. It has been years since I have taken some of these courses. I have tried using Khan Academy but even after watching the videos I do not always understand the concept behind things. If you know of a good tutoring service that would be great!

@mnmoore Sorry- I didn't mean not to be helpful. I was just replying to @acetylmandarin.

If self-studying isn't working, would you want to enroll in another prep course? Next Step also does 1:1 tutoring but it's expensive.

If you want to improve and are willing to do the work then you have to do TBR. For the sciences and psychology it is the best material out there (and I've seen pretty much everything). It will teach you how to think through the material and questions. I liked EK as a speed testing tool and touch up review, but if you are a 490 to start you need substance. TBR is the very best you can find.