Kaplan easier than AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is that I'm averaging 36's on my Kaplan FLs (high of 37), but 29-30 on the AAMC tests. My test date isn't until mid April, so I have a few solid months to improve.

AAMC Averages(from 3 tests):
P: 9.6 (high 10)
V: 9.3 (high 10)
B: 10.3 (high 11)

Kaplan Averages(from 3 tests):
P: 11.7 (high 13)
V: 13 (high 14)
B: 11 (high 11)

Obviously part of this is due to my VR score going way down on the AAMC tests. If I was closer to my Kaplan average in VR I wouldn't care so much. Another thing I've noticed is that when doing Kaplan tests I struggle to finish some sections, but on the AAMC's, I finish with 10-15 minutes to spare for some sections.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying to get some Gold Standard practice tests to get more practice with CBTs, as all the Kaplan material I have is in the form of PDF files, and I don't want to waste my AAMC tests with 2 months before my exam date.

My goal is a 12-12-12 with a potentially higher number for VR. When taking Kaplan tests, this feels like a strong possibility, but the AAMC numbers have me a little stressed. How do I get my AAMC numbers up closer to my Kaplan scores (especially VR)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll give you my thoughts on the 6 Kaplan FLs (1-6) that I have taken so far compared to the two AAMC (3,8).

I feel Kaplan's curve for PS is fairly accurate. Their PS sections are harder than AAMC, so being able to miss 18 or 20 questions and getting a 10 or 11 is justified. I have been getting 10 or 11s on Kaplan PS and I got a 10 or above on both AAMC PS sections.

For verbal, I feel that Kaplan's VR is not really all that much harder than AAMC verbal. Maybe a little bit. But I don't think that the inflation on the scale is justified, i.e. missing 9 questions and still getting a 12. I have gotten a 12 and 13 on Kaplan by missing 9, but on the AAMC I miss the same amount of questions and I got a 10 on both AAMC tests.

I feel the same for Bio. I don't think the Kaplan bio sections are so much harder than AAMC that the scale inflation is justified. In my opinion the difficulty of Kaplan bio is pretty simmilar to AAMC and the passage styles are simmilar too. On my last 3 Kaplan FLs I got a 12, 12, and 13 and missing around 9-12 questions. On AAMC 3 I missed 10 questions and ended up with a 10 and on AAMC 8 I missed 15 and got a 9. Maybe AAMC 8 was a particular hard exam, I don't know.

Thanks for the response.

I feel like for PS, Kaplan has harder passages, but in a way this is benefiting me because if I have to guess, it doesn't hurt me as much because of the more lenient scale.

As far as VR, I'm generally missing 2-5 questions on Kaplan, but 8-10 on AAMC. I really just don't know what's going on there unless it's just me psyching myself out, or the Kaplan questions are easier. I'm hoping it's the former but I really don't have a clue.

BS seems reasonable and my scores don't change much here from AAMC to Kaplan.

I guess I'm really just trying to figure out why my VR score is fluctuating so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplans tests have a more lenient curve. The sciences in Kaplan may seem harder, but the curve is much nicer. Even though I would have more of a hard time getting through the kaplan tests my scores would be higher on them. AAMC ones are a better predictor: difficulty is average, but the curve is right, so use those to see how you are doing.

I would say you may have another problem.

Kaplan tests have a larger curve because the tests are harder. However, you should see very similar scores for the AAMC ones as well. You just have to miss less. and this is most likely the problem. You're used to being able to miss some from Kaplan and still get a good score. But this is not the case with AAMC.

The way to improve the AAMC ones is just to make sure you don't miss any. I know it sounds like dumb advice but maybe you should A.) try harder on the AAMC ones B.) do more AAMC practice tests or C.) arrange it so you take an AAMC test like you would the real thing and see how you do.

when I did I got very similar scores on the AAMC and Kaplan. Sure I did better on some and worse on others (depending on when I took the test and how I was feeling that day). Your scores will vary. On test day you'll probably get your average score (but hope for the best obviously).

I would say you may have another problem.

Kaplan tests have a larger curve because the tests are harder. However, you should see very similar scores for the AAMC ones as well. You just have to miss less. and this is most likely the problem. You're used to being able to miss some from Kaplan and still get a good score. But this is not the case with AAMC.

The way to improve the AAMC ones is just to make sure you don't miss any. I know it sounds like dumb advice but maybe you should A.) try harder on the AAMC ones B.) do more AAMC practice tests or C.) arrange it so you take an AAMC test like you would the real thing and see how you do.

when I did I got very similar scores on the AAMC and Kaplan. Sure I did better on some and worse on others (depending on when I took the test and how I was feeling that day). Your scores will vary. On test day you'll probably get your average score (but hope for the best obviously).

Honestly, I think you're right, at least for PS and maybe BS. It doesn't really apply to VR beecause I'm missing very few on Kaplan and a lot of AAMC though. I wish there were more AAMC tests.

What do people like about GS for being representative of the MCAT? I think I'll try to get access to those for more CBT pracitce so I don't run out of AAMC tests. I'll do some EK 101 Verbal for practice there also.

Kaplans tests have a more lenient curve. The sciences in Kaplan may seem harder, but the curve is much nicer. Even though I would have more of a hard time getting through the kaplan tests my scores would be higher on them.
Right on.

To improve your AAMC practice tests, I would say just more practice. Definitely check out EK Verbal 101 - their verbal tests are like AAMC in style and will be better practice (and scores more predictable) than Kaplan's are.