Kaplan Embryology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a bunch of jibberish on fetal respiration and fetal circulation...do we need to know this?

Members don't see this ad.

I know for sure that fetal circulation is no longer on the MCAT, not sure about respiration. I would check the student manual.

Deav said:
There's a bunch of jibberish on fetal respiration and fetal circulation...do we need to know this?

Kaplan continues to teach it despite the fact that it is not on the MCAT. However, what you are describing is not embryology, which IS on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore fetal circulation like others said unless you really have nothing better to do with your time. However, pay attention to the earlier portions of the chapter discussing the development from a fertilized egg through gastrulation. You'll likely come across some form of "This tissue came from which of the three germ layers?" That's embyrology.

It's not in my EK stuff whatever that means. They only talked 1 sentence about a fetus and that was about the O2 dissociation curve of Hemoglobin. The curve shifts to the right (I think) lowering the affinity of O2 with Hemoglobin so the mother's blood releases the O2 to the fetus. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is probably the only thing you might have to know.

What else pushes the curve to the right? CO2, H+, temp, etc?

WilliamsF1 said:
It's not in my EK stuff whatever that means. They only talked 1 sentence about a fetus and that was about the O2 dissociation curve of Hemoglobin. The curve shifts to the right (I think) lowering the affinity of O2 with Hemoglobin so the mother's blood releases the O2 to the fetus. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is probably the only thing you might have to know.

What else pushes the curve to the right? CO2, H+, temp, etc?

Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the curve is left shifted with respect to the dissociation curve because fetal hemoglobin has to "steal" oxygen from the mother (steal is the only word I can think of) so it has a higher affinity. A curve will be right shifted due to low affinity like acidic conditions or high temperatures--like in your tissues!

BioMedEngineer said:
Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the curve is left shifted with respect to the dissociation curve because fetal hemoglobin has to "steal" oxygen from the mother (steal is the only word I can think of) so it has a higher affinity. A curve will be right shifted due to low affinity like acidic conditions or high temperatures--like in your tissues!

I see what you mean about fetal hemoglobin, but I was talking about the mother's. Sorry for the lack of info on my part. :)