1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Kaplan Embryology

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Deav, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Deav

Deav Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There's a bunch of jibberish on fetal respiration and fetal circulation...do we need to know this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pej722

pej722 Member
    10+ Year Member

I know for sure that fetal circulation is no longer on the MCAT, not sure about respiration. I would check the student manual.

4. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Kaplan continues to teach it despite the fact that it is not on the MCAT. However, what you are describing is not embryology, which IS on the MCAT.

5. metastasis

metastasis Member
    2+ Year Member

I don't think kaplan and princeton really update their books.

6. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ignore fetal circulation like others said unless you really have nothing better to do with your time. However, pay attention to the earlier portions of the chapter discussing the development from a fertilized egg through gastrulation. You'll likely come across some form of "This tissue came from which of the three germ layers?" That's embyrology.

7. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    It's not in my EK stuff whatever that means. They only talked 1 sentence about a fetus and that was about the O2 dissociation curve of Hemoglobin. The curve shifts to the right (I think) lowering the affinity of O2 with Hemoglobin so the mother's blood releases the O2 to the fetus. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is probably the only thing you might have to know.

What else pushes the curve to the right? CO2, H+, temp, etc?

8. gridiron

Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the curve is left shifted with respect to the dissociation curve because fetal hemoglobin has to "steal" oxygen from the mother (steal is the only word I can think of) so it has a higher affinity. A curve will be right shifted due to low affinity like acidic conditions or high temperatures--like in your tissues!

9. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I see what you mean about fetal hemoglobin, but I was talking about the mother's. Sorry for the lack of info on my part. :)