Kaplan FL 1 vs AAMC 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathologyDO

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there! My MCAT is setup for June 21st and I am studying Kaplan material 8-14 hrs 6 days a week until that time. Here's where I am at:

Kaplan Diagnostic
: 23 (7P, 7V, 9B)
* This was after week 1, or just 1 week from today

Kaplan FL 1: 25 (8P, 6V, 11B)

AAMC 3: ?

As the above suggests I am going to be taking the AAMC 3 exam here shortly to see the difference between my scores. I think the main reason I performed so badly on the FL1 was because I was stressed about timing and was naive in thinking that passage mapping was actually going to reduce the time I spend on questions, when in reality it felt like I actually took MORE time to map them out on paper.

So, I will post my results tonight/tomorrow for comparison. Just to throw it out there, I took the FL 1 yesterday, so I have not studied much at all in between these.

Members don't see this ad.

After taking the AAMC 3, I can now say a few things:

* AAMC gives you easier to comprehend questions

* Kaplan tests more for critical thinking while AAMC tests more for content understanding in physical sciences

* AAMC is way easier because less critical thinking is involved, but their scoring is much harsher

My score on the AAMC 3:

26 (8P, 8V, 10B)

which is 1 point higher than the Kaplan FL 1 I just took. My Verbal went up 2 pts while bio went down 1. Although I scored the same in physical sciences on both exams, I missed 15 questions total in that section, and 5 of them were on the same passage involving harmonics! Of course, the one thing we never covered in Physics II is what ruins my score haha. So if I had been familiar with that then my score would probably a couple points higher really.

Anyways, what is your experience with Kaplan vs. AAMC?

Also, how do you Kaplan'ers' increase your verbal scores? Just doing Q-Bank?

Last edited:
No experience in Kaplan vs AAMC yet, but I look forward to taking them :)

I used EK to increase my VR... I don't know if that material is available to you, but it is also very late... so I would just recommend tons of practice.

That is awesome, I love your attitude your such a fighter, that motivates me big time!

Its the only way to survive!

No experience in Kaplan vs AAMC yet, but I look forward to taking them :)

I used EK to increase my VR... I don't know if that material is available to you, but it is also very late... so I would just recommend tons of practice.
Yeah I could hypothetically order EK VR through amazon and get it here quick... but I don't have the cash. I am going to do the Q-Bank material for VR, and also work through the 6 VR practice exams. Hopefully in the 250+ questions they have for VR I will learn to improve my skill somehow.

Skill... thats just it really. Verbal is nothing but learning how to read the passage quick and not fall for those logically correct answers. What makes me mad is when I select an answer which I match up directly from the passage, and then the explanation telling me why i'm wrong states "it is apparent that the author was disagreeing with this statement, not agreeing" :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there! My MCAT is setup for June 21st and I am studying Kaplan material 8-14 hrs 6 days a week until that time. Here's where I am at:

Kaplan Diagnostic

As the above suggests I am going to be taking the AAMC 3 exam here shortly to see the difference between my scores. I think the main reason I performed so badly on the FL1 was because I was stressed about timing and was naive in thinking that passage mapping was actually going to reduce the time I spend on questions, when in reality it felt like I actually took MORE time to map them out on paper.

So, I will post my results tonight/tomorrow for comparison. Just to throw it out there, I took the FL 1 yesterday, so I have not studied much at all in between these.

Wait what? Are you using their On Demand? And you completed 2/3rd of the material in two weeks? If this is the case, I would push my test date back, take a the full three months to study as intended by Kaplan, and work to get my score as high as possible.

Also, IMHO Kaplan FL test =/= AAMC FL test. Yes, the Kaplan ones are nice to get you used to sitting for 5.5 hours, but they are not really all that representative of you score due to the crazy curve they use. Also, I would probably consider AAMC 3 not all that representative of the rest of the AAMC exams and especially not the current MCAT being administered.

You really need more time to study between test too. Taking Kaplan FL1 and then AAMC 3 the next day is not really going to do you much good. You need to take time to review the test (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it can be done the same day if you are spending 14 hours a day) but it should really probably be done the next day or two to really be able to step back and understand the questions and what you did right or wrong. Also, you will burn yourself out if you take more than 2-3 FL's a week.

Its the only way to survive!

Yeah I could hypothetically order EK VR through amazon and get it here quick... but I don't have the cash. I am going to do the Q-Bank material for VR, and also work through the 6 VR practice exams. Hopefully in the 250+ questions they have for VR I will learn to improve my skill somehow.

Skill... thats just it really. Verbal is nothing but learning how to read the passage quick and not fall for those logically correct answers. What makes me mad is when I select an answer which I match up directly from the passage, and then the explanation telling me why i'm wrong states "it is apparent that the author was disagreeing with this statement, not agreeing" :thumbdown:

Again here, I would suggest you find a friend then that has the EK verbal 101. Kaplan FL is extremely different from AAMC in the way they ask questions and the type of questions they ask. Everyone seems to agree, and so do I, that EK has the best verbal review. I highly recommend tracking this down especially if you want to get above an 8 or 9 on the real deal.

Just my two cents. Also, if you do a post history search on me, I just took the MCAT and have not got my scores back, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own way of studying and maybe this will work for you as it has worked for some in the past.

Kaplan Diagnostic

I took the Kaplan course and I have to say aside from the books and some online materials I didn't find their tests to be so great. I recommend taking all or most of the AAMC tests. I found that the test I took in May was much more similar in structure to those than any of the Kaplan tests. 2-4 for Kaplan weren't too bad but after test 5 they just seemed to be overly difficult. I haven't gotten my scores back though, so that being said I can't say if I scored the same as my AAMC range practice tests, just judging content wise they seemed closer to those than Kaplans.

Right on, thanks for your input. I have since posting this thread taken the AAMC 3, one day after taking the FL 1, and I scored a 26. I found that the kaplan test had a much more difficult physical sciences portion, and I think that I may do a few more of their exams just to get well versed for gen chem and physics. That being said, after one or two more of the FL's im def gunna switch to taking all the AAMC's.