Kaplan FL #6-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confuse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone taken Kaplan FL #6-10? Is it harder than an average MCAT? Those are the only full-length tests that I could lay my hands on and it seems to be very difficult. I took the last August MCAT without any studying nor taking any practice tests but I still did better than my score on these FL practice tests. :( Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

On the whole, the Kaplan practice tests are harder than the average. Don't worry so much about the absolute scores you're getting: concentrate on the *relative* scores: Absolute values won't help you, as they won't (or shouldn't) change how much you're studying. But relative differences will help you to triage your study priorities.

Good luck!

I think the test are mildly harder than 1-5 and even than the scales are very nice. Saying that I am surprised I did better on 6-9 than 1-3.... go figure. But I think that is just due to the scales being very nice...hopefully not

I just took this test - and found out it is "too new" to give relative (1-15) scores. I like tracking my progress with the relative scores so this was kind of a bummer. Do anyone know: are any other of the Kaplan FLs absolute-score only?

Members don't see this ad :)
this isnt directed at the 6-10 kaplans, but in general ive found the kaplans much harder than the two aamcs ive taken. i took kaplan fl 1 2 3 and each time i come out feeling like a complete idiot, and ive taken aamc 6 and 7 and felt very confident in both. more than anything the physics in kaplan seems about twice as hard as aamc. anyone else feeling this?

yeah, i think i defintely agree... i took kaplan exam 6 the other day, and i felt it was way harder than aamc stuff... i know this isn't exact but i crossed my absolute scores on kaplan 6 and 7 to see what it would have been on an aamc (just to get a ballpark figure) but I scored a 6 on physical sciences, 7 on verbal, and 8 on bio whereas the aamc test 6 that i took a few weeks before the kaplan, i scored a 8 on physical science, 10 on verbal, and 9 on bio... i also took another (aamc) and i got much better than i did on the kaplan... but then again, i was thinking about taking the mcats last year and i looked at one of these aamc exams then (BUT NOT BOTH)... anyway, i think the kaplan is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY HARDER, but now I'm freaking out and studying more (ok, i will be in an hour or so), so maybe it's good motivation

Thanks for all of your responses. What is the scale for FL#6? I got the tests and solutions from a friend of mine. Siince this was the first practice test I have taken, I just used a generic scale to score my test. I missed about 20 on each sections so I guess that's a score of 8. :confused: I took the MCAT last August and also found the physical section to be much easier on the real thing than this Kaplan one. I didn't print out the pdf file so I seem to have some trouble focusing on these passages reading them from acrobat reader. Well, I'm going to sit myself down to take the FL #7 tomorrow. Hopefully, keeping my fingers crossed that there will be some improvements.
PS: I don't mind if it's harder than the actual test because that only motivates me to study more. However, I'm afraid that the Kaplan test might not be a good representation of the questions asked on the MCAT cause there were many inferences questions on the verbal section, and I don't remember the real thing having much of those questions.

the scale is easier. but i am too lazy to post it. your scores are probably more like 10s and 11s.

confuse,

We do adjust the questions on later tests to keep up with more recent changes. However, you can't go wrong by having a lot of inference questions...they're foundational to good performance on the MCAT. If you master those, you'll have little trouble with most of the other ones. Those who struggle with inferences tend also to struggle on the section as a whole, not only because there are so many inference questions, but because they're the basis for the more advanced question types.

Keep practicing, and spend a lot of time on the explanations! The section test explanations are particularly good, if I do say so myself.