Kaplan FLs vs AAMC FLs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I have a quick question about Kaplan vs AAMC full lengths. I've began the transition from Kaplan to AAMC FL's and was a little disheartened when I dropped 3 points in my first AAMC practice test (AAMC #3). Is this test a particularly hard one? Or are Kaplan tests just bad predictors?

thanks for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi so I have a quick question about Kaplan vs AAMC full lengths. I've began the transition from Kaplan to AAMC FL's and was a little disheartened when I dropped 3 points in my first AAMC practice test (AAMC #3). Is this test a particularly hard one? Or are Kaplan tests just bad predictors?

thanks for all of your help!

Actually, AAMC3 is notoriously much easier than the actual MCAT :/. But don't fear! A three point drop is certainly not that catastrophic. Just see what you can learn from the AAMC exams. The Kaplan exams (I believe) are pretty poor in their indication.

AAMC #3 is the easiest AAMC FL. In general, as the number increases, so does the difficulty. They also become closer in style, difficulty, etc to the current MCAT. However, AAMC #3-10 are considered slightly easier than the real thing. That's probably due to a combination of stress while taking an actual MCAT and because the current MCAT is most likely a little more difficult. Although there isn't too much information available on AAMC #11, I'm betting it's the closest to the current MCAT since it was made with recent passages.

Now for Kaplan, if you just took Kaplan #1, then AAMC #3, then I wouldn't be too surprised if your score dropped. Kaplan #1 is really easy compared to their other tests. Another factor to keep in mind is that Kaplan is very weak in verbal and that score should be taken with a grain of salt. On top of that, Kaplan's curve is a little too generous at times. Lastly, only bother with Kaplan #1-6 as they're the best predictors out of Kaplan's FLs.

One more possibility, you could have gotten a test a that targeted your weak areas. Remember to ALWAYS fully analyze your practice tests.

So i've done Kaplan 1-5, and the big different in scores (don't know why I didn't mention this before) was in PS. On kaplan tests I always scored 12's 13's, but on AAMC 3, just a 10. I always figured that is was mostly the raw scrore --> scaled score conversion being much kinder with Kaplan, but I'll wait until I take a few more AAMC before then.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
One more possibility, you could have gotten a test a that targeted your weak areas. Remember to ALWAYS fully analyze your practice tests.

Hi Sn2ed,
So if I'm lacking practice in certain chapters, should do BR/PR passages, or should I skip those and go straight to FL (Kaplan) practice?
I'll do the AAMC FLs regardless, but just wanted to know if it's worth doing Kaplan 1-6 FLs instead of some basic passage practice for some of the chapters.

^Depends....are you deficient in those subject areas? When is your MCAT scheduled for? You need to weigh targeted time spent on weak areas against practice on overall MCAT general skills (timing, application of knowledge base, stamina, etc.). Which do you need more? Do you have time for both? Use your problem solving skills here and figure out what might work best.

Hey Lazy! I've also experienced a similar situation where my AAMC score dropped compared to my Kaplan. I agree with SN2ed...Kaplan's curve is more generous so you can miss quite a lot & get a decent score, with AAMC, not so much. A drop in your score can make you obsess like crazy so what I've recently decided to do is anytime I take a practice test, I set a goal of the % I want to get right (e.g. goal of getting 85% correct in VR) rather than worrying about the curve for that particular test. Hope this helps! :)