Kaplan Fl's worth doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the Kaplan FL's worth doing, or should the focus be placed on doing just AAMC tests with full post-test analysis. I have a month to do practice exams, and am trying to guage which ones are the most mcat-like.

Members don't see this ad.

Are the Kaplan FL's worth doing, or should the focus be placed on doing just AAMC tests with full post-test analysis. I have a month to do practice exams, and am trying to guage which ones are the most mcat-like.

AAMC, for sure. If you can manage it, squeeze a few Kaplan FL's in, but DEFINITELY make sure you get to every single AAMC, especially 9, 10, and 11.

Prior to my MCAT (3 days ago), I would have said to focus your efforts on AAMC exams. That's what I did on my last month, taking 2 per week and spending the time in between to analyze problems.

After my MCAT, I feel that the AAMC's were much too easy. The real MCAT's PS section was a lot more difficult, resembling the Kaplan's FLs. I say to try to make sure you grasp Kaplan's FL's concepts (more for PS/BS than VR) and the later AAMCs.

Prior to my MCAT (3 days ago), I would have said to focus your efforts on AAMC exams. That's what I did on my last month, taking 2 per week and spending the time in between to analyze problems.

After my MCAT, I feel that the AAMC's were much too easy. The real MCAT's PS section was a lot more difficult, resembling the Kaplan's FLs. I say to try to make sure you grasp Kaplan's FL's concepts (more for PS/BS than VR) and the later AAMCs.

+1

My MCAT (5/20) was harder than the AAMC tests, more on par with Kaplan's PS and BS (not VR. do AAMC to judge VR, as Kaplan has much shorter passages and easier questions, in my opinion).

If you think you're pretty much done with content review, maybe do two FL's per week, one Kaplan, one AAMC? EX: Take FL Saturday. Do a THOROUGH review of that test on Sunday, then Sunday and Monday you can review the content areas that you had trouble with. Take another FL Tuesday or Wednesday, and repeat. If you feel yourself burning out or your scores start to drop, take it down to one FL per week. They are draining!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you're pretty much done with content review, maybe do two FL's per week, one Kaplan, one AAMC? EX: Take FL Saturday. Do a THOROUGH review of that test on Sunday, then Sunday and Monday you can review the content areas that you had trouble with. Take another FL Tuesday or Wednesday, and repeat. If you feel yourself burning out or your scores start to drop, take it down to one FL per week. They are draining![/QUOTE]

This sounds like a really good idea, thanks!

Which Kaplan ones are the best in your opinion? Dont have time take them all.

+1

My MCAT (5/20) was harder than the AAMC tests, more on par with Kaplan's PS and BS (not VR. do AAMC to judge VR, as Kaplan has much shorter passages and easier questions, in my opinion).

If you think you're pretty much done with content review, maybe do two FL's per week, one Kaplan, one AAMC? EX: Take FL Saturday. Do a THOROUGH review of that test on Sunday, then Sunday and Monday you can review the content areas that you had trouble with. Take another FL Tuesday or Wednesday, and repeat. If you feel yourself burning out or your scores start to drop, take it down to one FL per week. They are draining!