Kaplan Full Length #5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mossjoh

Mayo Clinic-PGY2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, I just finished Kaplan Full Length Practice Test #5!! The last one!! There were a few problems though. The verbal had very long passages and I didn't finish all them, I had to just fill in one whole passage, I've never had to do that before!
frown.gif

The physical science section, I could easy do the problems, its just again the passages were long and there was a lot of math. Once again, I didn't finish the section!
frown.gif

Bio was another story, it had some difficult concepts, but I finished it. Did anyone else have the same experience with Kaplan Full Length #5? Just wondering.....

Any input would be great! The next time I take a test like this it will be April 21, the real MCAT.

Mossjoh

Members don't see this ad.

I just got done with Full Length #3 and felt the same about the Verbal and Physical sections. Ah, well two more weeks to speed up on those sections.

I took Kaplan #3 last week. I felt the same about the verbal. The passages were long. The physical sciences was very difficult. Bio was not so bad. Anyway, I ended up scoring 6V, 9PS, 10BS. What did you guys score? Just curious. So far, I am up 5 points overall from my diagnostic (6V, 6PS, 8BS), and 3 points from my first full length (5V, 6PS, 11BS).

Members don't see this ad :)
On Kaplan Full Length #3, I scored
V-9, PS-11, BS-10

Kaplan #1 I scored
V-9, PS-10, BS-11

Hang in there, the MCAT will be better than these tests, lets hope

Mossjoh

Similar story here:

Diagnostic: 9V 6PS 8BS

Kaplan #1: 8V 8PS 11BS

Kaplan #2: 9V 10PS 9BS

Kaplan #3: 10V 10PS 10BS

Word around the campfire is expect a 2 to 3 point bump on the real deal.

I think the scaling is the big thing. On Kaplan #2 I got 52/65 on VR and a 9. On Kaplan #3 I got 50/65 and a 10. Go figure!

Best of luck all. It won't be long now.

Spang

Don't sweat test 5. Last year I took the last test and felt like I had done really badly--so I never picked it up! Seriously, I was worried about it shattering my confidence which BTW is an extremely undervalued commodity going into the MCAT. Everything worked out for me and I was very pleased with my score.

Let me offer one piece of advice in these final days of studying. Whatever you do, do not study the day before the MCAT! Take at least one day off to let everything sink in and relax. Go out to a nice dinner, watch a movie, read a book (pleasure-reading only), play videogames, etc. Just don't try to cram that last little bit of information in. All you will wind up doing is making yourself more anxious about the test. Someone passed this advice on to me last year, and it was the best piece of advice about the MCAT I received. Good luck to all!

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

I took kaplan #1 (V6 P10 B11)
#2 (V8 P10 B12) and #3 (V11 P9 B10).

I have a general question.
is Kaplan verbal supposed to be easier than AAMC IV (V6 PS12 BI12)? I thought AAMC verbal was so much harder than Kaplan.

Also, I personally think that Kaplan PS is full of crap that is not likely to come up in real MCAT. Everytime I do PS Kaplan, I get so pissed off. I get like 30 wrong in PS and it is still like 10 or 11. (messed up scale)
Anyone agree?

I was scoring consistently on Kaplans 2-4 this summer and dropped 3 points on test 5, it was by far the hardest and I don't think its a good indicator of the real test at all. (on the real test I scored 2 points above that kaplan#2-4 average, thus 5 points higher than on kaplan #5 which I took only 2 weeks before the real test). So don't sweat #5.

I think that the kaplan ps is much harder than the real one but an good prep. I was scoring 11-12 on kaplan and got a 14 on the real one, i was amazed, but it was really a breeze compared to kaplan. I thought VR was a lil tougher than kaplan, and BS was overall not harder or easier, but different. Kaplan focused much more on orgo nomenclature, and physiology than was on the actual test.

Remember my only basis for comparison is the one mcat I took, but that's my thoughts.

GOOD LUCK to everyone taking it in 2 weeks, study hard but don't burn yourself out before the test, relax the few days before it and clear your mind. Good luck.

yeah! Someone else who thought Kaplan #5 PS was full of crap! I guess I'm not stupid after all... well, at least not as much as I thought. Bio was easy on #5 and VR was quite long. Have been scoring 28-30 on Kaplan's and did AAMC #3 last week with:
VR: 54/66 = 10
PS: 57/77 = 10
BS: 60/77 = 10

I can only hope these are my real scores though. Are the AAMC tests the same as the real one (Harder/easier?)

I thought this last Kaplan was horrible and a real confidence shattering experience! (except for Bio). Good luck to all!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by praying4MD:
AAMC #3 last week with:
VR: 54/66 = 10
PS: 57/77 = 10
BS: 60/77 = 10

Was that a typo b/c my AAMC # 3 VR only has 65 questions!
smile.gif

Thanks for all the input guys! I think that really boosts my confidence. I knew how to do almost all the problems on the PS section on Kaplan #5, but I was frustrated at not finishing it. I guess I feel better about that now. I agree that the verbal section was long, because I couldn't finish that either. The BS section was fine. I've been scoring 30 or 31 on all the Kaplan tests I've been taking. I scored higher on Kaplan test #2, but I think that was because I thought it was easier. Do you think that most students carry these scores over to the real test? I would be thrilled to get a 30 on the real MCAT. Has anyone scored like a 30 on the Kaplan tests and then scored higher on the real thing??

Let me know

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Mossjoh

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mossjoh:
Has anyone scored like a 30 on the Kaplan tests and then scored higher on the real thing??

Let me know

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Mossjoh

I was scoring about 11v,11-12p,11-12b at kaplan and got a 10v,14p,12b on the real thing. I know 2 others who took kaplan with me and were both scoring 30-31 on kaplan tests, one got a 34 the other a 38! Good luck.

has anyone had an experience where there kaplan mcat sores went down more than two points on the real thing.

Usually I hear that scores go up on the real thing compared to Kaplan

Hmm.. Doesn't it bother anyone that the scores posted on this forum all seem to fit the same range? I also scored 10's and 11's for all of Kaplan's full-length PS/BS exams, but I also noticed that there were times when the conversion scale was quite forgiving..

wasabi-

You know I've wondered the same thing. Are they flexing the scale to give us certain scores, varying it by individual? Here's my raw and scaled scores, compare them to yours:

&lt;p&gt;(VR,PS,BS)&lt;p&gt;

#1: 51,36,60 = 8,8,11
#2: 52,56,52 = 9,10,9
#3: 50,48,50 = 10,10,10
#4: 52,43,48 = 11,10,10

III: 56,62,57 = 11,10,9

I didn't take Kaplan #5 but took AAMC III but used the scale in the AAMC booklet. Although I too think Kaplan is cooking the books my scores were similar on the AAMC tests so maybe that's a good sign, I don't know. I could definitely live with a 30!

I will second previous posts that the Kaplan sciences particularly PS is much harder than the AAMC material so maybe they are scaling to allow for that, I don't know. I still am a fan of Kaplan and am glad I shelled out for the class. Hopefully I will be extolling their virtues when that envelope comes in June.

Best of Luck!

Spang

[This message has been edited by Spang (edited April 12, 2001).]

I've noticed the same thing. My scores haven't changed that much between Kaplan tests, and it seems if they were trying to fix this, they may want my scores to improve so it looks as if I'm doing better after taking Kaplan and their tests.
My scores on the tests have been
#1 V-9 PS-10 BS-11
#3 V-9 PS-11 BS-10
#5 V-9 PS-10 BS-12

Therefore, I haven't changed a whole lot. I have to get that darn verbal score up though!!!
frown.gif

Lets hope for better on the real thing, now in.......9 days

Concerning whether real mcat scores go down from simulated (kaplan) exams really depends on your approach or experience towards preparing. A considerable # of kaplan students typically do the 5 practice tests, realize their scores are uncompetitive and decline from taking it. (during that administration) Then for the second round, many use the same kaplan exams and see improvement (what a surprise!!)......one often fails to consider that the scores ARE NOT representative of improved skills. (the practice exam is, of course, familiar and should not be considered valid with reference to score) A student in this situation will most likely witness a lower score on the actual exam. This seems like an obvious deduction, but you'd be surprised at the # of students who baby themselves by taking identical exams repeatedly!! (funny)