Kaplan high yield problem solving guide...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEV2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how helpful is the High Yield Problem Solving Guide from Kaplan. Going through many of the physics probmlems especially I have been finding that their practice questions for these "high yield" topics are very long and more complex than i would expect any real MCAT question to be. Are there certain aspects of this book that were more benificial than others? Just wanted some feedback from anyone who has used this book in the past. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that the bio section was really helpful. Other than that... I too felt that physics was a bit more detailed than what we'd have to do on the exam...

Did you take the April test? Did you think that the high yield guide prepared you well for the physics section?

I didn't make much use of it, but I did use it to "jump start" or whatever they call it. I couldn't stand the flashcards, so I marked some sections that I have problems with and reviewed them in the HYG instead.

JEV2007 said:
I was just wondering how helpful is the High Yield Problem Solving Guide from Kaplan. Going through many of the physics probmlems especially I have been finding that their practice questions for these "high yield" topics are very long and more complex than i would expect any real MCAT question to be. Are there certain aspects of this book that were more benificial than others? Just wanted some feedback from anyone who has used this book in the past. thanks

I tried using it a little. I didn't think it was very helpful.

I thought the bio/orgo was very helpful.

I think the chem stuff in the high yield guide was easy, so it didn't help me learn anything I was weak in.

The physics is more just to refine your skills. But the work/energy stuff helped me understand how to think when approaching those problems, so that was good. The translational stuff was stupid. They are very long problems, that are just there as practice using equations. When you go about those probs just make sure you have somewhat of a "plan." Don't just dive into the explanations, because they don't explain why they're using certain equations at certain steps. So for me with physics it was better just to do it myself, and then compare it with what they got. But I was weak in physics, so thats why I spent more time on that section of the book.