Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

KAPLAN in classroom or online?

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by ScienceBrah, 10.01.14.

1. ScienceBrah

ScienceBrah insufferable know-it-all 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The only in classroom one is a serious drive. I could move there and take my last pre-req in that area.

Is it worth the added run around? Or should I just barricade myself at the local library with the online version?

2. nsharma23

nsharma23 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I debated the same thing but in the end I decided on the online one and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure your connection is solid as it takes up a lot of bandwidth.

3. baxt1412

baxt1412 Liftus Maximus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Depends on how you learn best. If you're a better self-learner, then for sure the online.

If you think you will need the extra commitment to stay on schedule or like more personalized help, go with the classroom.

I signed up for the classroom and they cancelled my course a week before it was supposed to start. ****ty move, Kaplan.

4. MintLiminal

MintLiminal

Pre-Medical
    I did the live online course - I found it really helpful, but you have to make sure to read and study ahead of time because they do move quickly. I agree with baxt, it depends on where and how you learn best. I liked being able to study all day and then just roll over to the computer and sign in, definitely convenient.

5. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I registered on-site. It sucked. Instructor mixed up velocity with acceleration, gave incorrect answers for many problems, stumbled on gen chem questions from the students in my class, and basically, was a dolt...

Kaplan moved me to online which is live and great!

Was told by the live on-line instructor/TA in private chat that in order for a person to become a live, on-line instructor they must first pass being onsite, then taped, and then finally online-live.

Oh, and I believe all the online live instructors are practicing physicians (residents or not) or PhD.

6. hopeforacure

hopeforacure 2+ Year Member

I liked the onside for my instructor, but I really benefited from the online resources over the class experience. I think Kaplan's strengths come from their prep materials - so as long as you actively use those, you will be fine. I got caught up in the "I'm going to class so I studied for the day" mentality and unfortunately that doesn't work. So if you can work independently and strongly on your own, don't use the classroom version.

MintLiminal likes this.
  7. BeMD13

BeMD13 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I am repeating it online live. The first time I took it onsite. My online instructors are really great! I've made up sessions with different instructors and they were great too. I don't think you need to worry about the quality of the online instruction. I did have an initial onsite instructor who was replaced during the course though. He didn't show up for the first class and wasn't solid on the concepts when he did show up.

8. doapplicant2015

doapplicant2015

Go online and on-demand (not live) if you can keep a schedule for yourself. This will give you extra time on things that need it and maybe speed through things you are comfortable with