Kaplan Lecture Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about the Lecture Notes Kaplan Books. Is it necessary to do WebPrep or attend lectures as you work through these books, or can you read through them on your own and will you still be ok? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

ForceField

Members don't see this ad.

ForceField said:
Hello,

I have a question about the Lecture Notes Kaplan Books. Is it necessary to do WebPrep or attend lectures as you work through these books, or can you read through them on your own and will you still be ok? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

ForceField

My understanding is that there are gaps in the books and you have to fill them in as you listen to the lectures.... I'm signing up for WebPrep on Monday... yay.

gaps?

I was thinking of taking my friends second set of books.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I buy the lecture books, I would also need to follow the lectures off of WebPrep to get a complete picture? Man....can't decide whether to get WebPrep or the Home Study books....

I used lecture notes that I bought from someone and I thought they were great! I didn't watch any lectures and didn't notice any gaps in the books.

I wish I had used them more for my regular classes. They were clear and concise.

Here is what Kaplan says about its books in the preface:

"Please note that these are Lecture Notes, NOT REVIEW BOOKS. The Notes were designed to be accompanied by faculty lectures...Reading these notes without accessing the accompanying lectures is not an effective way to review for the exam."

We had our Kaplan presentation about 1+ wks ago and received our books. The lecturer was great and very entertaining. He emphasized the importance of the 2 areas needed for success on Step I: get the information in your brain and pull it back out while taking the test. So, I thought the Kaplan books would provide clever ways to learn (Area #1) and recall information necessary for the test (Area #2). But on my cursory examination of the books, I've been disappointed. It appears the books do a decent job of reviewing the information but I haven't found clever mnemonics or vignettes that will help me recall the information. Please tell me I didn't just pay a bunch of $$$ for Kaplan to only provide me with half of what they say is necessary for success on the exam??????