1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Kaplan MCAT 45? Is it a waste?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by kimicurtis, Jul 23, 2011.

1. kimicurtis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey,
    Has anyone used this book, did it dramatically increase your score or was it just a waste of your time?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zeppelinpage4

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hmmm...never heard of that one. If it's anything like the Kaplan Review Notes I am using, I'd stick with ExamKrackers or Berkely Review. Those seem to get the most praise on these forums and users who used them seem to do quite well.

Might help to know a little more about that specific Kaplan book though, I never came across it before. So it might be decent for all I know. -2 cents.

Edit: I just found it on amazon. Ah so it's an advanced book. If you're scoring really high as is and just need more practice it might not be bad. Though I heard Princeton Review and TBR can also give some very difficult passages to learn with. So they may help too. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

4. kimicurtis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks! I know a lot people say stay away from Kaplan, I just wanted to know if this book was different. For example, MCAT students don't usually like the Princeton Review but many people find the PR Hyperlearning to be a useful study aid. Examkrackers reviews are almost always positive.

5. Kaashi

Never heard of Kaplan notes. From where did you came to know about those notes ?

6. kimicurtis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go to amazon or eBay and search:Kaplan MCAT.

7. kkentm

2+ Year Member

imo, kaplan is underrated and examkrackers is seriously overrated. just my opinion though

8. kimicurtis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Out of curiosity, why would you say that?

9. abar

2+ Year Member

I used the kaplan review notes and got a 39.. I thought they were a great resource

10. kimicurtis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did you use Kaplan 45 or just Kaplan Premiere?

11. justhanging

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think its a waste. The material is hard but not in a good way.

12. mzblue

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It's just the strategies for reading the passages accompanied by passage sets. it's a condensed version of their strategic supplemental. you can't use that as a primary review thing. Get the premiere book instead if kaplan is your choice of study prep

13. kimicurtis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I own a copy of the premiere, I will be using it to supplement my study. I was wondering whether Kaplan 45 provided dramatic score improvement.