Kaplan MCAT Interview - diclose that I'm applying to med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For anyone of you who's taught for Kaplan, I hope you can help. I'm at the last interviewing stage to teach the MCAT. I really want to teach for Kaplan because it's been so hard to find a job for this gap year and they seem flexible and pay pretty well.

Just wanted to ask if I should disclose in the interview that I'm currently applying to medical school and may have to miss days for interviews (it's a full time position). I obviously want to be super honest but I want to know how to go about disclosing this as I'll have to leave in a year for medical school. Let me know, thank you so much! Should I tell them in the interview or wait until later, anyone have experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Well the alternate is don't tell them and if you get hired have to surprise them and call off a number of days for interviews and other events related to medical school admission when you were supposed to teach. How do you think that will go over?

Your situation is not uncommon at all. Many many people who did well on the MCAT and who take a gap year teach as part of a prep course during that time, even full time in cases. There's no need to be deceptive or blatantly lie if they ask you this, and then have it all come back to bite you in the a--- later(and a number of II's have been given out so it could easily be a matter of days before you get some, even just as you start teaching).

Reactions: 1 user
I applied and was offered a position at Kaplan as an MCAT tutor. In my interview, I told them that I was applying to medical school, but, that I really wanted to tutor for Kaplan. While I wound up not accepting Kaplan's offer, the recruiters were understanding and said that they would work with me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be honest.

I teach for Kaplan. They were fine with me applying, although I did apply for the job a while ago.. There have been some teachers who have med school interviews and your manager will do his/her best to find a substitute teacher for you. It should be fine.

Also, if you TUTOR for Kaplan, that would be VERY flexible, as your tutoring hours are generally decided by you and your student.

Good luck!

Oh.... forgot to add -- If you DO get hired, you'll go through a lot of online training before even teaching a class. I feel like if you're at the end of your interviewing, you still have at least a month or more to go of training (I forgot how much training there was.. my case was a little accelerated) so you don't even have to worry about having to teach any on-site class in the near future. You might want to ask your manager WHEN you might have your first class if you do get hired.

Obviously, many MCAT instructors are premed. They won't be phased.

How much do MCAT tutors get paid?

If you took the mcat (and did well on it) what else does Kaplan think you would be doing besides applying for medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, I work for a prep company (maybe Kaplan, maybe not) and nearly everyone I know is interviewing this cycle or next. The managers all know this and are very accommodating and often helpful.

You're overthinking this one OP. The people who Kaplan would most want to hire are people applying to med school.