Kaplan mock Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrewFromVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Kaplan mock MCAT (which is normally offered on Saturdays mornings) is the same as the diagnostic you take when you begin the Kaplan course?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DrewFromVA
Does anybody know if the Kaplan mock MCAT (which is normally offered on Saturdays mornings) is the same as the diagnostic you take when you begin the Kaplan course?

Either way, you'll be taking a test that is absurdly difficult and has no predictive power. The mock exam is designed to be harder than the actual MCAT to scare you into spending your money. The diagnostic is designed to be harder than the subsequent tests that they offer so that you'll show an inflated rate of improvement.

Short answer: they're both meaningless.

The are similar, but not necessarily the same test. These tests are not meaningless. They are good practice, but not good predictors of actual MCAT performance.

kaplan diag is not anywhere close - verbal on diag is wayyy to easy. Sciences also seem much easier than other exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I teach the MCAT for kaplan and I can assure you the diag is pretty darn valid. Usually people dont study for it at all, which is the point. Its not that the test is biased towards you getting a poor score, its just that you cant recall everything from 3 years of undergrad without practice - and thus you pay for the course. I have to admit, I shelled out 1000 for course back in my day as a premed, and I'm such a slacker that if I hadnt, I wouldnt have put in the effort to studying for the MCAT ( and subsequently blasting it out of the park). I had a 24 to start with and studied my balls off for 3 months to push that up to a 36. All the STP crap that I teach in the MCAT classes...It really does work....most of the testing strategies I learned for the MCAT are the same things I'm learning to get ready for the USMLE.

FYI - if you guys do well on the MCAT do teach for kaplan in med school cause they pay for a lot of your USMLE prep when you work for them.