Kaplan Online Classroom for the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megrxgirl

megrxgirl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Kaplan online classroom for the pcat? It is 949.00 and I was just wondering if it would be worth the money?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I took this class and since I work full-time and go to classes when I am not working I didn't have time to do all the required items they requested. I felt as though I wasted my money. They don't guarntee you will pass the PCAT and refund your money if you do bad like they do for MCAT and other tests. Also, they give you a time limit. After you pay all that money they cut you off after I think 90 days. I requested for more time and they wanted me to pay an additional $295, which I thought was ridiculous! I got my scores today and I did worse than I could of ever imagined! No school will look at me! I already signed up to take it again but, the school I really wanted in SC will not look at the Jan. test so, I am basically screwed until next year which sucks for me! I hope this helps. If you have the time the class is very thourough. It would be worth it then.

I would.

I did it over the summer so I had more free time even though I was working and taking two classes. You HAVE to have self disipline for it. I did everything that they wanted me to do (it was A LOT) but I felt prepped and what I really wanted was to know what to expect. I felt like it was a lot harder than it needed to be but hey, the more you know the better. I printed out the practice test that they gave so if I needed more time I could have done those later.

dana92085 said:
I would.

I did it over the summer so I had more free time even though I was working and taking two classes. You HAVE to have self disipline for it. I did everything that they wanted me to do (it was A LOT) but I felt prepped and what I really wanted was to know what to expect. I felt like it was a lot harder than it needed to be but hey, the more you know the better. I printed out the practice test that they gave so if I needed more time I could have done those later.

did you score well on the pcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Kaplan course for OAT. I don't think the classroom was really necessary at all. It was boring and since I don't have discipline I could never finish all the assignments they gave. I never finished all the work they gave online either. But I did maybe half of them. I think the materials like the books, flashcards, and online subject test were helpful. Or else it would be a lot harder to study from textbooks. Cus textbooks are too detailed and will probably take forever to study from.
However the class is really unnecessary because most of the time they subject matter is not hard to understand. It's just lots of memorization and practice u have to do on ur own.

I honestly feel like if you buy the Kaplan BOOK and study it thoroughly using your old textbooks to supplement anything that is unclear, you will probably know way more than enough to do well on the PCAT.
I took a course, not the Kaplan, but an independent one offered through my school (also $1000) and it was VERY helpful. But mostly because it forced me to study all day on Saturdays and Sundays for several months. Just attending the course was helpful because the material was EXPLAINED to me. It was suggested that we do a lot of outside review as well.
If you have enough will power though, I think you can get by just fine without spending the money. I don't know how similar the Kaplan course is to the one I took but I hope this helps in some way.
I live in Central Florida, http://www.drputzer.yourmd.com/ That's the link to the courses he offers if anyone is interested. I highly recommend it. :)

Megrxgirl,

Have you already taken the PCAT? The only reason I ask is because I feel, now that I know the format I would do better the next time around. For instance, now I would concentrate and put more time into studying specific items especially math! I never even took a geometry class and there was quite a bit on the PCAT so, I would study that area harder. It's a matter of putting other things aside and studying, which is what I didn't do! I was too busy trying to pass my tests for organic and anatomy which I am taking now. I also work full-time so, that was also a factor. If I had put the time into the Kaplan course I know I would of done much better than I did.

The Kaplan GRE Math Workbook was extremely helpful for me, except for the calculus problems. While it seemed like overkill, doing multiple problems of the same type over and over, it really came in handy when I took the PCAT (90th percentile on Quant, my lowest score). Some of the questions were verbatim from the PCAT, so when I recognized them, I didn't have to think much about it, and could spend more time on the calc questions.

The calculus was extremely weak in the Kaplan PCAT book, even the additional online component. I'd recommend studying your old calc book.