Kaplan online? Or just DIY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalminute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Edit: BTW, just saw the Online Kaplan thread. Jeez.)

Hi! I'm taking the MCAT late summer and I had always planned on taking the full classroom Kaplan course . I have some scheduling problems as I will be a Summer Research Fellow and the schedule that fits best for studying conflicts with my vacation time and my research job.

I asked some students at my school and they told me that the classroom wouldn't be worth the hassle for me anyway as it is really better suited for someone who was trying to get a starting score of 20 up to a 30. One suggested I just buy the books for the strategies and practice tests and take the AAMC tests , and another said just use all the AAMC tests I could find and the Exam Crackers full set I already have. What do y'all think?

I took a practice test prior to Orgo or Physics and I scored a 31 on Test 3 AAMC under test conditions with about 10 hours prep (12V/8P/11B). I have (almost) always tested very well (35 ACT). I have now taken Orgo , Physics, and Histology and Topics in Biomedical Science, plus I have done lots of genetics research (Goldwater Scholar). I feel comfortable I will have a good grasp of the material tested, as much as it's possible to have a good grasp of the material tested. :rolleyes: I have no worries about keeping a schedule or putting in the hours. I have no life ;).

I really want to feel prepared and am afraid that if I don't do at least the Kaplan On-line course (right now you get some extra Verbal work) I'll be wondering if I did enough. I don't need any negative thoughts heading in to the test. OTOH that is just a lot of money I could really use someplace else.

I really need to score highly on this test as I hope to go into a MSTP program. Thanks,y'all and I wish everyone well who is about to take this test. I hope you kill it dead. :D

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an extra $2000 lying around, go for it! Take the online course! However, given your background and your amazing testing ability, I'd say DIY! Go buy a few Kaplan, TPR, and EK books and get crackin'. If you have a base score of 31, you'll easily make a 36 or 37 now. Take a few practice tests as you go to track your progress and you should be good to go! Don't waste money on a Kaplan course, instead....invest a fraction of that money in study books and practice exams! Good luck!

Thanks! Have $2000 laying around? I don't think I have $200 laying around . $2000 is almost half of what I'll make this summer and I need that money for extra living expenses next year.

It would sure be scary. I have one or two friends that will be at the campus this summer who I know will be studying, too.

The course isn't worth it, with the exception of getting access to their CBT's. Everyone says Gold Standard CBT's are a good option if you need extra CBT's to practice with, but I really don't know if I could recommend them to anyone because they are fraught with errors and questionable logic and the VR is usually too easy.

If you want the materials from a Kaplan or TPR course, I'd suggest craigslist or ebay.