Kaplan or Examkrackers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kytrona

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these would you recommend? Any advice on particular books would be greatly appreciated! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

kytrona said:
Which of these would you recommend? Any advice on particular books would be greatly appreciated! :love:

I recommend ExamKaplan.

That or Kapcrackers.

I feel bad for posting that useless garbage.

Kaplan has ok general review...

Their tests are difficult, which can curb you towards intensive test taking.

EK has good explanations in their review books and their tests seem to parallel closer to the actually AAMC.

Depends on what you are looking for, try going to borders and check out their material and see if its something you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do a lot of driving, ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis might be a good idea. I listened to Audio Osmosis, but studied the Kaplan and Princeton Review big books.

Most important...is practice. aamc.org has a package where for $80, you get 4 actual old MCATs. You can either do them online or print them out. (if you plan on taking the MCAT on the computer, practice it that way, otherwise, print them out)

The answer to this question depends on if you are referring to Kaplan course material, or Kaplan over the counter material.

If you are talking about the actual course material, then that will be good.

If it is a choice between over the counter books vs. Exam Kracker's, I would use Exam Kracker's. I took the TPR course and used their books. However, my friends whom are studying for the August test are using EK books cuz they say they like them much better due to condensed info more basic overview they give.

kytrona said:

Well examkrackers is cheaper, if you mean only buying the book and not the audio osmosis or taking the examkrackers course (dunno if they have one). I bought the books and its good if u want to get low 30s maybe. I think for ppl who want to score well into the 30s and near 40, kaplan is the way to go; their practice tests are a lot tougher than the real thing and help you prepare for them. However, I felt that using examkrackers reduced my preparation time by at least one half, but i also knew that anything above a 33 or so on the real thing was impossible even if i worked even more with examkrackers. Kaplan was just too expensive for me.

zurned said:
I bought the books and its good if u want to get low 30s maybe. I think for ppl who want to score well into the 30s and near 40, kaplan is the way to go; their practice tests are a lot tougher than the real thing and help you prepare for them.

how do you figure that? I figure that any prep book will teach you as much as you need to know to do well, with some teaching it better and more concise than others. But in order to get into the high 30s, 40s, it would be more dependant on the actual person taking the test, and their abilities and practice than the study material used. are you referring to the kaplan course? are you referring instead to the practice material provided by kaplan? i tend to think that i have the best of both worlds. i've got EK's books, which i'm happy with, and i've also got a whole bunch of kaplan practice materials (the internet is a wonderful thing)

it should be added though, that i've only started studying very recently. my opinion may or may not change ;)

Are kaplan books good to have along with the examkrackers or is it just redundant? BTW Borders or Barnes and Nobles do not carry any examkrakers book.