1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Kaplan or Princeton Books/Class?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by msd848, Dec 20, 2008.

1. msd848

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am planning on taking a Kaplan course in the spring... but am starting to rethink since Ive noticed everybody is basically recommending ExamKrackers and PR books...

should I just take a princeton review course.. or should I stick 2 the kaplan course.. and just do some examkrackers?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Kaplan >>>>> TPR course, IMO.

Though ExamKrackers books are the best self study guide I've seen.

A formal class is good for a disciplined study plan and asking questions, though.

4. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, TPR is much better I will say. I recommend it fully. Their material, while difficult, are great stuff. Use them in conjunction with Examkrackers.

5. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!

OP, get used to the varied opinions.

I found TPR to fail on strategy and test taking skills, which are HUGE on the MCAT. Their books are like textbooks, with mind-numbing detail and much wasted time. At least they were a couple of years ago.

Kaplan had tons of detail too, often too much. But at least they taught a ton of test taking skills, too.

EK wins on being concise and not wasting a second of your time. They might leave out a few details, but they cover about 97% of the test material and take about a third of the time to get through everything, compared to the other companies.

6. SN2ed

Resident [Any Field]
    About the whole Kaplan vs TPR classroom course, it depends far too much on location. In some areas, Kaplan may have the best teachers; in another, TPR. The best gauge to determine which class is better for you is to ask to sit in on a class. If that's not possible, ask your fellow pre-med friends, that took a class in your area, how their class went. You could also ask some of your professors to see if they know anything about the quality of Kaplan and TPR teachers in your area. The key here is YOUR area.