Kaplan Organic Edge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Kaplan Organic Edge class and/or book? (Or any of the other "Edge" books). I'm wondering how good they are.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know much about organic edge but my friend had a bad experience with verbal edge.I guess it depends on what kind of teacher you get. My friend had the same teacher I had for my verbal reasoning classes . All he did(teacher ) was flirt with girls and read answers from his teaher 's manual.

The organic edge from Kaplan is almost exactly what you get from the organic book that comes with the Kaplan course or from the big fat red book. There 2 sections in the book. The first section talks about the superficial of orgo and the second section is just the same material from the big fat red book or Kaplan's orgo material. You don't need it if you already have Kaplan's study materials. :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I considered taking that a year ago. In fact, I signed up for it and got a copy of their textbook in advance. From what I could tell, it seemed like a big waste of time and I don't even think it covers all the orgo that you need for the MCAT (correct me if I'm wrong) and yet the course was very expensive. So I did the wise thing and cancelled and got my money back. I ended up studying off the Princeton Review material and did pretty well on orgo (even though I had little/no orgo background).

Just in defense of Kaplan teachers... We are told to read from our books and pretty much explictly told how to structure the course. I teach both Organic Chemistry at my undergraduate university and also for Kaplan, and I definitely like the "lack of structure" i have teaching my undergrads. But we are forced to cover things in a certain way at a certain time to "Be the same at every Kaplan Center"

Homer,

I have been using the Organic Edge as a supplement to my O-chem text and as a study guide before midterms. It is good at summarizing main points and has some good problems.

For the MCAT's, I purchased the Examkracker's series and a couple of Kaplan books. I can't compare it to the Kaplan classes, since I'm not enrolled or plan to pay $1200 for a class that I can study for on my own...

Best of luck.

-Michelle-

My mom made me take Organic Edge when I was a freshman. It did diddlysquat. You don't need it, you don't need the book. The actual course itself is sufficient to prepare you for the MCAT and make you become familiar with organic reactions. It was a waste of time and money. I did fine in Ochem and felt I didn't learn anything of use in the Organic Edge class. And my sis did not do very well in Ochem even after taking the kaplan class. Save your money.