Kaplan Practice MCAT score inflation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killinsound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 5th Kaplan practice CBT MCAT (not number 5)

My percentage RAW were

87% BS
76% PS
75% VR

The scaled scores were

15 BS
13 PS
12 VR

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 40, but the percentages don't seem to scale correctly. Wouldn't this reflect to a much lower score? Is it giving me a false sense of "readiness"?

Members don't see this ad.

The Kaplan tests are more difficult than the real thing, BUT the scale compensates for this fact. A raw percentage of 76% in PS on Kaplan may be a 13, but to get a 13 on AAMC you'd have to do significantly better by raw percentage.

The Kaplan tests are more difficult than the real thing, BUT the scale compensates for this fact. A raw percentage of 76% in PS on Kaplan may be a 13, but to get a 13 on AAMC you'd have to do significantly better by raw percentage.

would it be accurate to say that I am capable of scoring the same on the AAMC then granted that I don't make any stupid errors?

Some of Kaplan's scales are utterly ridiculous. I remember my friend missing 26 questions on one section of a Kaplan practice test and still scoring an 11.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a 40 on one of the Kaplan tests and I have yet to hit over a 34 on any of the real AAMC practice ones (i've taken 3 of them), so yes the kaplan tests are way out of scale :confused: :confused:

I made a 40 on one of the Kaplan tests and I have yet to hit over a 34 on any of the real AAMC practice ones (i've taken 3 of them), so yes the kaplan tests are way out of scale :confused: :confused:
I scored higher on the real deal (and all the AAMC exams) than I ever did on a Kaplan exam. I guess it's different for different people.

The discrepancy for me is verbal. I get like 7 and 8s on AAMC but 10s to 12s on kaplan (probably due to the curve).

since im set to take it on Monday, im really getting worried about the verbal... :(

The discrepancy for me is verbal. I get like 7 and 8s on AAMC but 10s to 12s on kaplan (probably due to the curve).

since im set to take it on Monday, im really getting worried about the verbal... :(
Ah... that's because the Kaplan questions on verbal are way way too easy. They don't require any synthesis of information only detail recall.

What is your average range on kaplan?
Well I'd say the 40 is probably a fluke. I took all 11 tests over the course of a few months, I ranged from 28-40.

I'd say I'm averaging in the mid 30s. I guess my average is just a bit higher than the AAMC. However, I still think the curve is too lenient :thumbdown:

would it be accurate to say that I am capable of scoring the same on the AAMC then granted that I don't make any stupid errors?
Yes, but definitely still take some AAMC practice tests.

My score on the real thing matched my highest score on a Kaplan test, but was 3 points lower than my best score on an AAMC test.

Hey killinsound:

Could you tell me which one you specifically took? I just took the Kaplan Full-Length 1, and received 75% across the board, and I just received 31. That seemed reasonable to me 11-9-11. The score is similar to my Diagnostic, I got 70%, and received a 28.

Well if you could help me out, I would love to take the same test and see what happens.