Kaplan Premier Frustrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renaissance Man

Saving the World
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Kaplan Premier Book because it was relatively cheap, came with 4 practice tests, and there was also an online component with lectures and quizzes. The book had pretty good science review (I needed in-depth physics, more than what is gone over in EK), but I have been really disappointed by the rest of the program.

I am not sure why Kaplan insists on giving you less time and less questions on their FLs, then is found on the real CBT, but expect 42-45 questions per section and 50-60 minutes allowed...sorta random.

I have found numerous times that passages are repeated. With the online quizzes, there has been 3 or 4 directly repeated passages and questions that were in the paper exam found in the book.

The online test number 2 is also ridiculous. It was nothing like AAMC3-7 (which I have taken), and the verbal section was the same exact section given on those "free" test days when they come to your campus and let you take one. So it was basically a waste.

I am sorry for the rant, but I am mad that I wasted money and time, 4 weeks before my actual MCAT on repeat and crazy questions (for example: I thought vitamins were stored by the liver, but the vitamin they asked about was one of the exceptions...I was unable to find where vitamin identification, storage, and solubility would be tested on the official Content Outline from the AAMC website). I am glad that I got EK, and so far have found that only AAMC practice tests are worth my while.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I found the book useful for bio and gen. chem, but that's about it. I haven't gotta into the online component too much, b/c when I did a few activities on the website, I felt like my time would be better spent using different materials. EK is my fave set of materials, with the exception of physics, for which I used Nova.

Online component is a waste, and I am not even going to worry about doing their practice test. I never understood why they didn't just do the standard number of questions and time allotted for each section.