Kaplan prep score vs actual

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by wifefrog, Feb 29, 2000.

1. wifefrog

wifefrog Junior Member

Can someone who has taken the Kaplan test prep course tell me if the scores they received on the Kaplan test were close to the actual MCAT that they have taken. I am currently taking the course, and wonder if their sample test scores closely resemble the actual performance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends on who you ask, but for me, it was almost dead-on target.

Tim of New York City.

4. dlbruch

dlbruch Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wifefrog- I took Kaplan and found that my practice test scores were similar in the sciences, but lower in verbal. Also, I found Kaplan's test to favor calculations much more than the actual test, which was almost entirely concept-driven.

5. Researcher

Researcher Junior Member

My Kaplan practice tests predicted my MCAT scores exactly with one pleasant surprise. In the Kaplan tests I was running 9s on Verbal, but when it came to test day I scored my first 10 on verbal and 11 and 10 on Phys and Bio sections. I don't know how they do it, but there magic worked for me.

Each Kaplan test has a different degree of difficulty. Some have notoriously hard physics sections, others tough verbals. But practicing those full-length tests for three or four weekends before the real one is, I think, a great way to prepare your brain to handle the stress of test day. Also, try to take the exam in a familiar environment (your current school, e.g.) and try to visit the room before the test just to get a feel for your surroundings. And don't forget food and water for the day. Don't depend on the school's cafeteria to be open.

So, bottom line, practice, practice, and practice, and then show them what you can do on test day.

Good luck to all.