Kaplan Qbank, How I hate you so.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a situation like this:

I sit down for a set of 50 questions, nice and relaxed tutor mode as I watch TV.

Question 1:

58 yo alcoholic male with chronic pancreatitis develops a cyst near his pancreas. An important complication if this ruptured would be?

Answer: I didn't know the answer, but I remembered something about anaphylaxis happening if you cut something open near the pancreas. I choose anaphylaxis and I am wrong. I read the answer and it turns out it was a psuedocyst and it can rupture to produce hemorrhage. I am ok with this, I learned something.

Question 2: (this was actually about 17 questions later)

56 yo alcoholic man is found unconscious in the bathtub. He is stuporous and covered in vomit. He is clammy and his blood pressure is 80/50. What is the cause of his hypotension?

Answer: Ding Ding, I remember this. I just "treated" a late 50's alcoholic who had a pseudocyst which can rupture and cause hemorrhage, resulting in hypotension. I look for the answer choice, and there it is, option H: Pancreatic Pseudocyst. I am excited. I learned something. WRONG, the explanation tells me this is obviously Acute Hemorrhagic Pancreatitis. When I check to see why my choice was wrong, it doesn't even mention that a pancreatic pseudocyst can rupture and cause hemorrhage.

WTF?

What's the point of even trying......

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a case of which is more likely.

But you're right, it could be either, and that has got to be frustrating.

Yeah, I can relate --- Q-bank can be frustrating! My favorite: the question stem described a person with multiple cafe-au-lait macules, Lisch nodules, and subcutaneous neurofibromas. It asked what other finding would be present in the patient. The answer was bilateral acoustic neuromas, typically an NF-2 finding. Everywhere I've looked has said that it's VERY rare to have a patient with NF-1 have bilateral acoustic neuromas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I can relate --- Q-bank can be frustrating! My favorite: the question stem described a person with multiple cafe-au-lait macules, Lisch nodules, and subcutaneous neurofibromas. It asked what other finding would be present in the patient. The answer was bilateral acoustic neuromas, typically an NF-2 finding. Everywhere I've looked has said that it's VERY rare to have a patient with NF-1 have bilateral acoustic neuromas.
That's terrible. :thumbdown:

dont worry..the real thing isnt nearly as hard as Qbank....

Which makes me happy, because it seems darn near impossible to finish in the mid-70's overall, unless you're one of those 240-250+ scoring medical machines.

Automan 2....why do you just complain and moan in your posts? Do you have anything positive to say about anything? Writing something sucks, or is overrated really doesn't offer anything valuable to the forum!
Do you think treating a patient is consistent and uniform? Do you think a patient can't have symptoms that might looks like appendicitis, but then have an ecotpic pregancy? Better to "misdiagnose" something on a Qbank then on a real person!!! Learn from it and move on. Good luck studying.

Automan 2....why do you just complain and moan in your posts? Do you have anything positive to say about anything? Writing something sucks, or is overrated really doesn't offer anything valuable to the forum!
Do you think treating a patient is consistent and uniform? Do you think a patient can't have symptoms that might looks like appendicitis, but then have an ecotpic pregancy? Better to "misdiagnose" something on a Qbank then on a real person!!! Learn from it and move on. Good luck studying.

It's funny how no one cares when someone says "UW is great!" but god forbid if some one says it sucks. Also, I have come around to UW, its not that bad. I dont hate kaplan, it is just frusterating sometimes.

Lesson learned

I dont hate kaplan, it is just frusterating sometimes.

Did I misread the title of this thread? :D

I feel you though. I think that many people's general assessment of QBank is that it is nitpicky. I'm starting the IV QBank in the last two weeks, and it is far more like what I see in NMBE exams and the released items.

good stuff. All of the Qbanks are frustrating, none are perfect, but we gotta do our best anyways:thumbup:

USMLERx can eat my ass. BSS stands for Bull**** Source.

Actually I don't have a problem with either bank, I just felt left out. Although I just came across a BSS question that says that H. flu is the most common cause of meningitis in little kids. Guess there's a downside for using 10 year old sources, but for the most part its still current.

what i hate about qbank is whenever i'm in the middle of a test, i try to click on the next question but the thing freezes yet my time continues to go down while i wait for 2 min for it to move to the next question. this has happened to me multiple times. qbank f-in sucks. this didn't happen at all when i was using UW.

Did I misread the title of this thread? :D

I feel you though. I think that many people's general assessment of QBank is that it is nitpicky. I'm starting the IV QBank in the last two weeks, and it is far more like what I see in NMBE exams and the released items.

Just some advice....

IV qbank is a complete waste of time. It is way too easy compared to the real thing and none of the questions work in that format. Make your own choice, just my two cents.

what i hate about qbank is whenever i'm in the middle of a test, i try to click on the next question but the thing freezes yet my time continues to go down while i wait for 2 min for it to move to the next question. this has happened to me multiple times. qbank f-in sucks. this didn't happen at all when i was using UW.

When this happens to me I hit 'suspend' and then it usually goes back to the previous screen pretty quickly, then you can click 'resume' for your test and it will go to the next question with little time wasted.

Just some advice....

IV qbank is a complete waste of time. It is way too easy compared to the real thing and none of the questions work in that format. Make your own choice, just my two cents.

I realize none of the questions work that way on the real exam, but have you taken step 1 already? I'm finding the IV's helpful for answering several questions surrounding a single topic.

i.e. one vignette might be on Paget's disease, so it'll ask about the histology expected, sequelae, treatment, and some other things.

Since I'm done with QBank and I have this IV addition, it's more questions to work through.