civilleader

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2006
Fort Worth
Status
Medical Student
So ive been using the kaplan qbank...which ive been told is easier than the real thing and ive been progressively gotten my ass kicked with it.

I take the test in mid June...

my average used to be 60% but its dropped to 58% and seems to be steadily dropping as i do more questions. I done some 700 qs from the bank thus far...

Ive been trying to patch up my weaknesses but it seems to not help...

I have usmleworld...a downloaded 2007 version i found via torrents and have gone through that rather decently, is it worth subscribing to uworld?

tideleonheart

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Getting 60% right is pretty darn good if you ask me. but then again, my average of the last 300 or so questions is like ~50.

Kaplan is harder than the real thing, by the way.

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So ive been using the kaplan qbank...which ive been told is easier than the real thing and ive been progressively gotten my ass kicked with it.

my average used to be 60% but its dropped to 58% and seems to be steadily dropping as i do more questions. I done some 700 qs from the bank thus far...

I have usmleworld...a downloaded 2007 version i found via torrents and have gone through that rather decently, is it worth subscribing to uworld?
No need to worry. It is difficult to say whether or not Kaplan or more difficult or easy than the actual test since Kaplan tests very detailed oriented material. However, in terms of question difficulty, who knows. Around 60 percent is a good mark for pre-studying. A buddy of mine averaged 64 percent before his dedicated study period and ended up with a 262.

DEFINITELY get the new Usmleworld. They constantly revise questions, plus you want to get in the mode of taking the exam using Fredv2.

dienekes88

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I'm also taking the test mid-June. Kaplan seems much more binary as it were. You either know the answer, or it's just a shot in the dark. UWorld is less like that, but I think the questions require more complex thinking.

I think it's worth it to get the new UWorld. Beyond the revised questions, they've probably updated their answers and perhaps added new questions. With revisions, things tend to get better, e.g. FA2010 is better than FA2007 (I own them both).

Having said all that, I think going back through Goljan and FA will be a huge benefit. I try to get through Goljan x2 and FA x1 before I take the Kaplan Q's. Then I do a little more before I do the UWorld Q's.

If you're going through Kaplan, I'm pretty sure you're ahead of the game. Especially since mid-June is relatively late.

You got this.

Blondnuttyboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status
Yeah man - don't fret at all. You still have two months and you're 700 deep..you'll end up finishing it and be worlds ahead of others in terms of what you've seen and what you know about your weaknesses.

Gold.

illixir

One
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The scores should improve. When I was doing qbank while I still had a month or two left in 2nd year, my blocks were all generally in the high 50s/low 60s. After I went through a pass of the material for review hitting all prominent areas and got into beginning of study period the scores have improved to 70s. If you think you're at a standstill then maybe you should go back over selected material in a more comprehensive fashion.

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Medical Student
i can not seem to get out of the high 60's and low 70's for subject specific blocks of 48 questions AFTER reading through FA/Goljan//BRS! i have done almost 600 questions so far. i will be switching over to Word at about 1000 questions...im getting worried. people say kaplan is a lot easier and that world scores are 10 points lower which means i might be in the 50's-60's. this is depressing.

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
i can not seem to get out of the high 60's and low 70's for subject specific blocks of 48 questions AFTER reading through FA/Goljan//BRS! i have done almost 600 questions so far. i will be switching over to Word at about 1000 questions...im getting worried. people say kaplan is a lot easier and that world scores are 10 points lower which means i might be in the 50's-60's. this is depressing.
Depends on the person. I'm scoring about the same (70s) in both Kaplan and UWORLD right now. Personally, I think they are both good prep. Kaplan gets a bad rep around here, mostly for being too nitpicky. The nitpicky questions are definitely there, but UWorld has them too. Keep at it -- the more practice questions you do, the better you will do on the real thing.

civilleader

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2006
Fort Worth
Status
Medical Student
Same here...I plan on switching past 1000 questions on qbank to uworld. I feel like the micro in kaplan is ridiculously nitpicky, but then again that might be what i need to hit