Kaplan question bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Is there anyone who has used this service? Are the questions of similar format and content to those on the actual exam? Can't quite decide if its worth the money. Any input would be helpful.

Cheers,

M-

Members don't see this ad.

I have been using Kaplan's QBank. I think some of the questions are very straight forward and yet some make you think. I have heard that it is one of the best set of practice questions out there. Some also say it is comparable to the exam. I would recommend buying into it. :)

Hi:

Thanks J.S. appreciate the input. Do you know anyone who has taken the exam that used Kaplan? Just curious. What about BSS - everyone says that its really hard but useful. Have you used it? Thanks again.

Cheers,

M-

I have also used BSS. Yes, it takes a lot of time to do but it is also useful. I have been using it as a text reference as well because the explanations are very detailed and offer as a great source of info. I know of people that have used Kaplan QBank and said it was similar in taking the exam. :rolleyes: Nothing is like taking Step 1! :) I hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi:

BSS is this the Board Simulator Series.... I don't have them but they say they are very difficult.

Cheers,

M-

BSS is difficult. But they are useful if you have the time. I heard they now have it on CD. Which I wished I had. But too late now. Lots of people have said BSS is just too hard and not like the exam. That is why I just use it as a reference. :)

I took step one in the summer, and in hindsight, the most effective study tools were as follows:

1. First Aid
2. Qbank
3. The rest.

The BSS questions were much less like the exam than Qbank, which literally felt the same. After the initial jitters, which was there for the first two sections or so, I just fell into my groove, which was easy, because I had done the practice exams given by kaplan, as well as over 2/3 of the qbank questions. I would recommend doing all of it on the computer, and ditch the paper and pencil nonsense. Just get used to it.

And DONT bother with using too many BRS or other nonsense. A general rule (which of course nobody follows, but everyone preaches after the exam) is: if it's not in first aid, it's not important.

good luck@! this too shall pass.

If you are interested in the Board Simulator Series, you may want to check out medrevu.com's irevu question bank which contains content from Board Sim and NMS for Step 1.

Good luck!

Originally posted by PimplePopperMD:
•I took step one in the summer, and in hindsight, the most effective study tools were as follows:

1. First Aid
2. Qbank
3. The rest.

The BSS questions were much less like the exam than Qbank, which literally felt the same. After the initial jitters, which was there for the first two sections or so, I just fell into my groove, which was easy, because I had done the practice exams given by kaplan, as well as over 2/3 of the qbank questions. I would recommend doing all of it on the computer, and ditch the paper and pencil nonsense. Just get used to it.

And DONT bother with using too many BRS or other nonsense. A general rule (which of course nobody follows, but everyone preaches after the exam) is: if it's not in first aid, it's not important.

good luck@! this too shall pass.•

Hi PimplePopperMD,

I've heard the same from others. And yet others say they used BRS Physio, BRS Path, Micro. Made Ridiculously Simple, High-Yield Gross Anatomy, and High-Yield Neuroscience.

My question is: In the end, is it a better use of time to repetitively keep going over First-Aid as many times as possible and learn the information it contains as well as possible, or to use numerous sources as cited above? It seems to me that the more one spends with the other sources, the less time there is to spend on First-Aid. What do you think? Thanks!

DocToBe

Does anyone know how I could get a hold of the "Qbank" preparatory material? I have read several replies and most of you guys think it's the most useful and most like the real exam? Is there a website where I could buy CDs or look into this "Qbank"? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Never mind! I just checked out Kaplan's website and discovered that Qbank is not a CD but instead a program of online access to a question bank for 3 mos. ($199) or for 1 mo. ($99). They also have "WebPrep" at a horrendous price of $699. What does everyone think of the WebPrep? ;)

I took the kaplan webprep. It's ok for it's money's worth. It's just a very concise review online. But what is really worth it -the books. I had taken a review course a few years back and I needed a refresher course. And this served it's purpose. I really like their QBank. That is totally worth it! :)

first aid (memorize)+ step-up (know well)+ q-bank (do as many questions as you can)= well above the mean.

Sounds good. But I thought Step Up had lots of mistakes. That's why I stopped using it.