Kaplan Scientific American MCAT Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silverfalcon

Do It
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked around, but I couldn't find the answer that I wanted. So, basically, I know that Kaplan has rarely updated its books until this year, when it become partner with Scientific American to publish a new set of colored books.

My question is this: is the change just in the color or actual quality?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, good question. It is more readable and definitely prettier, but wow are there ever some typos! I mean critical stuff. So critical in fact that the produced like 10 pages of corrected material. I emailed them previously and they told me I should pretty much embrace these mistakes because they help me learn better! I was shocked by the response. I guess they realized how effed it was, because a few months later we all got the corrections. They try to make the content more readable, but some of their examples and statements were just. . . weird to me. Like many times I would say to myself "Why did they waste the ink telling that story?" or "WTF, mate?" Overall, it's not as dry as previous editions and it looks great, but they need to get on with the 2nd edition and make those changes pronto.

hey guys, the revised books will come out soon, but in the mean time the Kaplan syllabus webpage should have the full list of errata

Haha, good question. It is more readable and definitely prettier, but wow are there ever some typos! I mean critical stuff. So critical in fact that the produced like 10 pages of corrected material. I emailed them previously and they told me I should pretty much embrace these mistakes because they help me learn better! I was shocked by the response. I guess they realized how effed it was, because a few months later we all got the corrections. They try to make the content more readable, but some of their examples and statements were just. . . weird to me. Like many times I would say to myself "Why did they waste the ink telling that story?" or "WTF, mate?" Overall, it's not as dry as previous editions and it looks great, but they need to get on with the 2nd edition and make those changes pronto.

I thought the Kaplan books were actually alright, except the Physics book - that was near terrible. It seems like that physics book was written by a really ditzy female grad student or something - half the examples are about pulling pranks on your little brother, and about relationships (how opposites attract, if i recall lol).

just my 2 cents.