Kaplan scores vs the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a correlation between kaplan full length exams scores and your performance on the real MCAT?

Also, are the test score conversion charts the same for kaplan and AMCA's?

Members don't see this ad.

Supposely, your real MCAT is a bit higher than Kaplan. At least that's what they claim at Kaplan. From my personal experience (and I took Kaplan twice -second round for free though) my actual MCAT was lower than my Kaplan scores. Especially writing. However, some of my classmates who didn't mind sharing their scores said it was about the same. That's my 2 cents.

I never got above 32 on my Kaplan exams. My real score turned out to be 36.
Kaplan really helped me with WS btw. Just pay attention to what they say. Make sure it's 3 paragraphs, each paragraph addresses given question, use an example in each paragraph, avoid controvercial examples, etc. I am a lousy writer, but was able to get a 'Q'.
For the rest, it's studying the material and practice, practice, practice.
Good luck.

Don't trust Kaplan test scores. I consistently got 30 and 31 on Kaplan tests and ended up with a 26. Use something else for verbal reasoning because Kaplan did not prepare me very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first try on the real MCAT was much lower than my Kaplan scores, or as I like to call it, Craplan.

I think Princeton Review does a much better job in preparing you for the MCAT.

Adrian

I SCORING 30-32 ON THE KAPLAN TEST. IT WAS PRETTY ACCURATE ON THE SCIENCES HOWEVER ON THE ACTUAL MCAT I GOT 27, MY VERBAL WAS A 7. THIS WAS A SHOCK CONSIDERING THAT I DIDN'T DO MUCH B/C MY KAPLAN VERBAL WAS IMPROVING THROUGH THE COURSE AND WAS AT A 10 AT THE END.

MY AAMC PRACTICE TEST SCORES WERE EVEN MORE OFF. I GOT 11,12, 9 IN PS AND 12,12,12 IN BS ON TEST AAMC#3,5,6 RESPECTIVELY. ON THE ACTUAL I GOT ONLY 10'S. MY STUDY BUDDIES HAD SIMILAR DEPRECIATIONS.

I AM TRYING THIS THING AGAIN, SO ANY ADVICE ON VERBAL WILL BE ACCEPTED IN OPEN ARMS. I AM TRYING EK FOR VERBAL AND GOING TO DO PRACTICE PASSAGES EVERYDAY UNTIL THE REAL THING.

EK is great for Verbal.

I had the same experience with the AAMC tests, unfortunately :(... I scored a 34 on 6R, only to have a significant dropoff on the actual bastard.

If you do a search there are some good posts regarding Verbal strategies.