Kaplan Sectional Tests!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

If time till test date is not a huge issue do you feel like doing the Kaplan Sectionals is an efficent use of your time in comparision to doing something elsewise ( FLs, reviewing, EK 1001)?

Members don't see this ad.

well its not going to hurt. i see it as a good tool to getting adjusted to mcat style and basically cleaning up really horrible content areas. if you have plenty of time, it isn't a complete waste. however, i'd say the fls, ek, etc are better.

Yeah I agree, I think if you have time then they are definitely good practice! (Especially sciences, and Verbal if you just want practice with long passages / endurance)

Wait, aren't the sectional tests actually PS/BS/VR sections (stand-alone sections vs. full-lengths)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they are. I think some people (myself included) have not completed every section test because of the plethora of FL exams :)

It really depends where you are in the process. If it's still early, I think it would be better to use the EK 1001 series to strengthen your basics. Also, if you haven't finished content review, do that first and save the questions until you're closer to the test date. A problem with one of the Kaplan tests, (I forgot which one) is that some of their material appears on the Kaplan FLs. Hence, it might not be a good idea to take them all.

AHH, yes thats another thing i was wondering, if they overlapped their sectional tests and Kaplan FLs.

The questions in these section tests really worry me... I have such a difficult time with some of them.... :scared:

The questions require pulling the whole list of equation just to get ONE answer!! >.< :eek:

The questions in these section tests really worry me... I have such a difficult time with some of them.... :scared:

The questions require pulling the whole list of equation just to get ONE answer!! >.< :eek:

These tests are harder than the real one. Just use them as practice to be used to seeing harder stuff than the AAMCs.

On the real deal, there are not more than two step math problems. Kaplan goes overboard.

If you are getting around 70% right, then that is great!

Hi,

I seem to be getting around 75% on these tests, although I'm usually getting 13s and 14s on the sciences during FLs (both kaplan and aamc). Do you think 75-80% corresponds to around those scores?

by the way, is it just me or are these tests heavily calculation-based. a good chunk of the problem I miss are ones I know how to do, and could do easily with a calculator, but I just give up on them during the tests because they just take too much time!

i am planning of doing both the full lenghths as well as the sectional tests..the sections give you practice..and practice is never bad =)