Kaplan sections/topicals vs. TBR passages vs. TPRH SW vs. TPR ICC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Platonic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The creme dela creme of MCAT science prep is (outside of AAMC material)

TBR end of chapter passages

Kaplan Section Tests and Topical Tests

TPRH Science Workbook

TPR in class compendium

Assuming someone is done with content review but hasn't done a ton of passages, has around 5 weeks of prep remaining, and needs extra practice outside of AAMS FL's, which materials should be used, and which ones tossed aside?

Please rank the books in these three categories, and explain your rankings.

1. Difficulty

2. Similarity to the actual MCAT

3. Overall usefulness in MCAT preparation

Members don't see this ad.

i only have a few chapters left of tbr so ill give you my testimonial on those... chemistry/physics/organic are amazing. The difficulty was just right in my oppinion... challenging but managable, a goal of 90%+ is reasonable. Tbr bio on the other hand was different... its the kind of passages that a hard core bio major would probably love, it is extremely challenging.

i've also done some icc and goodness, some of those passages are really hard! probably even more frstrating without solutions.

but all in all, if you have in your possession all of the stated texts, it might be beneficial to figure out what youre weak in and do all of the corresponding passages for that topic for all texts... just an idea. good luck :)

ps. ill refrain from ranking since i havnt done all you have listed

Kaplan Section/Topical Tests > TBR End of chapter passages > TPRH Science Workbook > TPR ICC

Kaplan Section/Topical Tests are amazing. They incorporate a bunch of topics into one passages, which I felt like TBR didn't do very often. For example, TBR would have a passage about circuits, and all 7 questions would be about circuits. This isn't how the MCAT is.

However, TPRH Science workbook beats TBR passages when it comes to Biology.

So I guess the best way to summarize it is - if you're weak with content in physics, gen chem, or ochem, do TBR passages. If you're weak with content in bio, do TPRH Science Workbook. If you have a good grasp of everything, kaplan practice material is the way to go. The reason it doesn't get much love on these forums is because Kaplan just doesn't make enough passages.

TBR got me up to a 10 in PS, but Kaplan got me in the 12-13 range. If I had done it for Bio (I ran out of time), I'm confident I could have gotten a 12+ on the real thing

Kaplan Section/Topical Tests > TBR End of chapter passages > TPRH Science Workbook > TPR ICC

Kaplan Section/Topical Tests are amazing. They incorporate a bunch of topics into one passages, which I felt like TBR didn't do very often. For example, TBR would have a passage about circuits, and all 7 questions would be about circuits. This isn't how the MCAT is.

So I guess the best way to summarize it is - if you're weak with content in physics, gen chem, or ochem, do TBR passages. If you're weak with content in bio, do TPRH Science Workbook. If you have a good grasp of everything, kaplan practice material is the way to go. The reason it doesn't get much love on these forums is because Kaplan just doesn't make enough passages.

TBR got me up to a 10 in PS, but Kaplan got me in the 12-13 range. If I had done it for Bio (I ran out of time), I'm confident I could have gotten a 12+ on the real thing

Hey there! Did you feel that Kaplan Sectionals were on par with difficulty with TBR passages for Gchem and Physics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Did you feel that Kaplan Sectionals were on par with difficulty with TBR passages for Gchem and Physics?

Yup, plus the explanations are usually better. Like I said, I was stuck in the 10-11 range with TBR, but as soon as I started doing the Kaplan tests, I started seeing 12-13.

If you want to go even further, find Kaplan's FL exams and do the PS and BS passages. They were amazing (skip verbal, it sucked).

Thanks for your input. I got this impression as well from reading SDN, but wasn't sure since I hadn't tested all of the materials. I think I will spend most of my time doing the Kaplan topicals and section tests. I'm surprised Kaplan gets such a bad rap on these boards. It seems that they have the best prep material on the market. Then again, BR has far more passages than the subject test/topicals offer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I got this impression as well from reading SDN, but wasn't sure since I hadn't tested all of the materials. I think I will spend most of my time doing the Kaplan topicals and section tests. I'm surprised Kaplan gets such a bad rap on these boards. It seems that they have the best prep material on the market. Then again, BR has far more passages than the subject test/topicals offer.

The answer is simple: Kaplan just doesn't have enough practice passages. If you're consistently hitting 10s/11s in a section, I'd say switch to Kaplan.

Hey! I'm studying for the September 12th date and have been using TBR so far. I also have access to the Kaplan online class - though I have not really been using it - for fear of lack of passages, and it 'being less thorough' then TBR. Thus, so far having both resources has only been a source of stress for me - as I am unable to simultaneously go along with sn2ed schedule and the Kaplan...

What do you think would be an effective way to intertwine the two resources? I am weaker in Bio and did just purchase the TPRH Science workbook, as you suggested.

Is it possible to buy Kaplan's FL's/topical/section tests w/o being enrolled in their prep course?

Is it possible to buy Kaplan's FL's/topical/section tests w/o being enrolled in their prep course?

Actually I am pretty sure you can. It is pretty expensive though. I think it was a few hundred if I remember correctly from when I took the course a couple years ago.

I called both Kaplan and TPR and they both told me I'd have to buy any review book from a bookstore to gain access to 2 practice tests (most likely the first 2).
I have the final 1/3 of all TBR passages I can do, and TPR science workbook passages as well. I might use tpr sw for discretes instead of ek1001's.