Kaplan stuff representative of Real MCAT!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuelphAlex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be so many different views of the different prep programs and books!

I am taking a Kaplan classroom course in June.. and wondering if i need to supplement it with anything?

Would Kaplan be sufficient for PS? BS? VR? If not, what should I get to benefit my scores?

I am studying a month in advance of my course.. so i still have time! Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

i used the kaplan courses.

i think the course will give you enough preparation. make sure to take tons of kaplan and aamc tests.

the kaplan tests are harder but scored easier. i got 36-40
the aamc tests are easier but scored harder. i got 34ish

the real mcat is closer to the kaplan tests in difficulty.
i just took the mcat yesterday so i don't know how i did but probably around 34.

i took the test twice

first time i took the test, i used examkrackers with nothing else (not even aamc tests) and got 30

second time i used kaplan course only and i'm hoping for 34.

i think kaplan is a good deal. there's a lot of practice material. the test is more about critical thinking than content.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you've got a decent foundation from your undergrad coursework (i.e., you're not the kind that took AP Chem 6 years ago and haven't seen it since or you struggled through physics with a C-) then Kaplan is sufficient. I used Kaplan exclusively for test prep materials and practice tests. It's expensive, but I ended up with a 40T.

Bottom line, if you're like any other human being, you'll run out of study gas before Kaplan runs out of study questions for you to practice with.

Bottom line, if you're like any other human being, you'll run out of study gas before Kaplan runs out of study questions for you to practice with.

But are they good questions? That has been the knock on Kaplan. Not all of the materials are that realistic. The other common comment is that the teachers pretty much suck, so getting the materials is better than the classroom course. If you read threads here you'll see that comment quite often.

hmm i just finished 1st year at UoGuelph .. Bio im decent at.. can just study .. chem im ok i guess a bit shaky but i can review org chem just takes studying .. then problem i think is physics and i think i can increase my VR too

But are they good questions? That has been the knock on Kaplan. Not all of the materials are that realistic.

Fair point. It's been a couple years now, but I do remember some of the practice MCAT questions kinda coming out of left field. That being said, even if a practice question isn't realistic that does not necessarily mean that it is without value. I can remember practice questions that were more difficult or broad in scope than real questions, and those will help prepare one for the real MCAT analogues.

Of course some practice questions are also just bad. But I think there'll be a few bad apples in any test-prep batch.

The other common comment is that the teachers pretty much suck, so getting the materials is better than the classroom course. If you read threads here you'll see that comment quite often.

That may very well be true. My teacher happened to be pretty awesome, his style fit me well, but he's since gone on to better things. I really can't speak to the quality of the average instructor; just my own. The forums are probably right on this one.