Kaplan Teacher Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have an interview to teach the bio section (90 percentile) and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this, ie pay, committment, easy/hard, any advice is appriciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have an interview to teach the bio section (90 percentile) and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this, ie pay, committment, easy/hard, any advice is appriciated.

Hours are pretty flexible and the pay is pretty decent. You get paid training (i.e. you are paid for the training session hours and any time you spend to review for the teachbacks you do during those sessions). Pay goes up as you stay longer. Working isn't too terrible. Kaplan provides you with the training you need to succeed in the classroom. The problem is that they don't necessarily teach you how to do it. You are expected to do a teachback, afterwards you will recieve a feedback on how well you did, along with areas you need to improve in without suggestions for how. They also expect you to 'become kaplan.' When you present a Kaplan tip, not only do you have to punch in the word needlessly, you have to say 'we,' as if you wholeheartedly support it too. This is one of the biggest problems I am still having because I disagree with a few of the Kaplan methods. Such is the job however.

If you have a horrible time speaking in front of a group I wouldn't suggest taking the job right away because your class will not respect you if they see you second guessing yourself all the time. I remember when I took the Kaplan course, everyone disliked the Kaplan teacher that stuttered and had to reference the book every so often.