kaplan teacher time committment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afugazzi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just got offered a job teaching Kaplan. I already have a job doing research, in which the hours are very flexible (I am currently full time but I could cut back no problem). I am interested in doing Kaplan but I wouldn't want to do it if it took more than 10 hours a week or so.

To anyone who has worked for Kaplan: how many hours a week would you need to put in for the training month and for your first time teaching a class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So i just got accepted into kaplan teaching...for training there is only 4 sessions I think with 4 hour being the max...and there is also preparation time so..8 hours per session at most. And if you are new for teaching they will give you to 2 days a week class. So for that you probably need like 12 hours a week, which includes preparation.

you'll be working more than 10 hours/week, and you'll be getting paid like crap for half of them.

my typical week required ~15 hours of either preparing, teaching, or sitting around waiting for class to begin, answering questions, or grading.

I taught in LA and in New Jersey and I can tell you that pay/time commitment varies based on where you are... I was working WAY more hours in LA than in NJ, although I think that's dependent on the class schedule. I was also paid less in LA, and I think that was due to the supply-demand relationship