Kaplan Teachers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gschl1234

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from a Kaplan representative asking me whether I'd be interested in teaching an MCAT course this summer. For those of you who have worked for Kaplan, what kind of benefits do you get? If you teach MCAT for them this summer, will they give you a discount when you take their USMLE review even if you're no longer teaching for them while you're reviewing for the USMLE? How much did you get paid? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used to teach GRE and MCAT for Kaplan. No benefits except for access to any of their classes if you teach for a year and are currently teaching when you want to take the class. I was making $20/hr when I quit and am now making $35-40/hr tutoring privately.

UltimateDO said:
I used to teach GRE and MCAT for Kaplan. No benefits except for access to any of their classes if you teach for a year and are currently teaching when you want to take the class. I was making $20/hr when I quit and am now making $35-40/hr tutoring privately.

If you can't take their USMLE class at a discount, could you just get a free copy of their review notes for USMLE while you're a teacher?

As a private tutor, are you working independently or through some agency like Kaplan?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get to know your home office staff pretty well you shouldn't have any problem getting any of the USMLE documentation. They have extra copies of all of the classes laying around and if not your office manager will probably do you a favor. I wouldn't expect if right off the bat but after an entire summer they shouldn't have a problem with it. The problem is it all depends on your office manager. The three different offices I used to teach out of were pretty laid back so you shouldn't have an issue. I am working independantly now and will tutor basically anything. I was even teaching logic problems for the LSAT a couple of months ago. Independant is the way to go especially once you figure out how much Kaplan keeps for a class of 10 people paying a couple of grand each. :eek:

gschl1234 said:
I got an email from a Kaplan representative asking me whether I'd be interested in teaching an MCAT course this summer. For those of you who have worked for Kaplan, what kind of benefits do you get? If you teach MCAT for them this summer, will they give you a discount when you take their USMLE review even if you're no longer teaching for them while you're reviewing for the USMLE? How much did you get paid? Thanks

Hey! (fellow GDubber) I teach at Kaplan and I was planning on staying on the payroll even after I've moved to DC thinking that I might teach a class here or there while I'm in school. I think if you are an employee you get a discount - I hadn't even thought of that so that's all the more reason for me to try to keep up as an employee! It's fun, I make $21/hr.

Hey Brickhouse,

Cool. Are you thinking of continuing into the school year? I don't know if I could handle it. Yeah, I'm still here in Boise, ID and so this'll only be for the summer. I'm not sure whether I want to take it yet since I'm not clear on how long the class is going to last. I thought it would really be great if I could get a discount for the USMLE.

I'm a Kaplan teacher and medical student and they gave me a discount for QBank as well as some free review books.

Misty504 said:
What do you have to do to get to teach a Kaplan course?

You can do a search on this as I think this topic as been discussed a couple times.

Just call up your local kaplan office or go to their website. They'll set you up with an interview on one of their scheduled interview dates. It's basically a 5-min presentation where you teach the class (other interviewers and a couple kaplan employees) some topic. It could be on anything. Usually a "how to."As for MCAT scores, you need to be in the 90th percentile on any particle section to teach it, which i think is an 11. If you don't have that, you can just take an in-house diagnostic Kaplan MCAT and score in the 90th percentile.

Whatever you do, make sure your presentation is on something interesting, and I highly recommend that it not be academic in nature.