Kaplan Test Drive!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
wazz up people, I just wanted to see how many of you who took the practice MCAT today through kaplan thought it was difficult? I thought the verbal was cool, but then if I get a weak score, then I might change my mind regarding that!!! :wink: As far as the physical sciences, what the fu-k was that all about? I know for a fact that my physical sciences in this past august MCAT was much easier than this one...so we'll see. Bio was alright I think...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking it tomorrow morning so sh! I don't want to know any info...I'll stay away from this thread til tomorrow afternoon :wink:

p.s. Kaplan and TRP are offering these practice tests at different locations all through Feb and March so you guys can still sign up :)

I took it today too.

I also found verbal good, physical sciences was pretty hard, I thought some parts of bio were hard too, but then other parts were easy.

How does this diagnostic compare to a real MCAT? Is it much harder, much much harder, or much much much harder?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that kaplan's verbal is usually about the same as the real MCAT, but their science sections are much harder. From what I saw, the physical definitely seemed harder!! the bio was probably just a little bit harder than the real thing. hope this helps! does anybody else have any opinions on that?

OK I got back from the test drive a little while ago and since I had ants in my pants I drove to the Kaplan center and had it graded immediately. Fist of all, I want to say that during the test, I thought verbal was easy, physical was difficult, and bio was hard at first, but then got easier when I decided to take the test backwards (this is what happens when you drink 4 cups of coffee :wink: )

So I got 6v, 8p, 8b = 22! WTF!!!!!

On the real deal I got 9,9,9 (27) so I would say that while this verbal seemed easy to me, it was probably much harder than the real thing b/c I usually did well on the practices. I'm happy w/ my other scores cuz it shows that I didn't forget everything....but I don't know what to make of my score. I guess I won't retake in April.

How did you guys do?

hey Dra Foxy, I'll find out this wednesday and let you know, but an 8 on physical, that's good girl!!! specially because I thought that section was insane. I'm leaning towards taking the exam in August too...hey girl, didn't you already have an acceptance to med school? If so, why are you going to retake it? I personally think that with those scores and a decent GPA, you are definitely going to get in to med school this year! best of luck to you!
DON

thanks Dr. Don..unfortunately I don't have any love yet from med schools....although I have had 2 interviews (well one's next week)...I really don't know why I took the practice test, I think I'm just loca. :p

Good luck to you! :D

well, I can't comment on the test drive but I took the kaplan full length #2 yesterday. Kinda worried. I scored the same in verbal, 7, my physical science section went down a point, 8 to 7, even thought I got more right this time around, and my biological section is staying at 6 even though Im answering more right each time as well.

bleh...

was hoping to be around 24-25 right now if not a little higher considering how much time Ive put in.

I totally feel your pain Imbebo. In my 2nd practice test, I went down in VS (a lot) and PS.
It makes me really frustrated and angry. It's also causes me to want to throw the stupid books into Lake Travis because they're obviously not doing a damn bit of good...
But I digress.
I guess we should just keep the faith.

Huge hint. If there is any possible way you guys can take the test in April, I STRONGLY encourage it. I feel I got a few of my best interviews because I applied early. The is evidenced by the fact of the 13 interviews I've gotton so far, 3 of the best 4 I got in early August. I think applying as early as possible definately helps you out.

Just wanted to add what Jalbrekt said. If you can take the April test and DO WELL on it (ie you put in the time to study and take practice tests) then it is definitely to your benefit to take the test in April vs. Aug. I know that this may be contreversial, but I would also say that if you have not given the prep time that this exam requires, wait till Aug.! There is no sense in taking it in April if you are going to end up needing to take it again. But that is just my opinion. I took the test in Aug. and I got some kick a$$ interviews too (but taking the test in Aug for this app. cycle may not have done as much harm as it would in a "normal" year b/c of the AMCAS fiasco) Take it when you are best prepared! (but do your best to be prepared in April :p )

Ive been trying to prepare for the april test since I heard its better to take it then for a variety of reasons. My scores have gone up till yesterday when I took a slight step backwards. Im just worried that the time Im putting in isn't paying off. I honestly dont do anything but study for the mcat or school anymore. Even thought about dropping a sociology class I love because of the mcat. Ive seen the number of correct answers go up each test Ive taken and now getting 52% right in each of the science sections compared to 37% when I first started. Im improving, but Im not keeping pace with the improvement and abilities of everyone to get the score I want. Thats what worries me.

My neck and back hurts from that stupid test drive! I ate ibuprofen for breakfast. :p

ok, so I just got my scores and here they go, 8,7,8, not bad?.... :confused: I am a little confused though. How can a 39/45 correct answers in the verbal section mean an 8 overall score. According to their diagnostic I got correct answers 80% of the time...and that means an 8? I don't think that's accurate! As far as the sciences go, I can't complain. I have always been weak on physics, so that's what probably killed me here. I am a little disapointed in the number of O-chem questions I got wrong though! But oh well, I guess I'll just study my ass off for the August MCAT and hopefully the good scores will come! Personally I am happy with my verbal (compared to the 6 I got on the real thing!). Anybody else get their scores? Did you feel it was accurate?

good job Dr. Don!!! I definitely think Kaplan's scales are messed up, but that's because they only have previous kaplan students to base their curve on, and I don't know how similar it is to the real mcat curve.

So are you planning to take it in august if u don't get int this year? I change my mind everyday. Today i think i'll take it in august and apply for 2003. This morning I wanted to go to st george's and never retake. Yesterday I was gonna take it in 4/2003 for 2004 matriculation. Do u think taking it in august will mess us up? I think if we can kick a$$ on it it would be ok, esp since we've been thru this process already and know all the tricks :wink:

hey Foxy, I think that retaking the MCAT in august won't hurt us. As of right now I have not gotten any interviews and if I don't get in this year, I am planning on submitting all my AMCAS info early (June). Seeing that with those ****t-y scores I got secondaries from almost every school I applied to, I'll be sending those out along with a letter telling them that my August 2003 MCAT scores are on the way. I think the second time around I will definitely get a couple of interviews before February! Anyways, that's my plan...as far as going out of the country. I honestly DO NOT want to do that, and don't recommed it to anyone! My cousin graduated from Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara more than ten years ago. He is a smart motherfu----. And he recently passed his boards (accreditation) this past january. From what I have heard, those extra exams that foreign MDs take to get accredited here are brutal!!!! and they keep getting harder and harder! So, no matter what, I'll be attending a US medical school. I don't want to go through what my cousin went through. So Foxy, now what do you think about St. George? good luck in whatever you decide girl! but like I said, I think you'll get in this year! :)

ok, August MCAT it is! Have you started studying yet? I won't until early April I think.

Also, start some new ECs now so you can put them on AMCAS in June :) I'm thinking about getting certified for personal training now so I can work next year while sending in apps. But hopefully I will get in soon :D

Good luck to you--and there's still hope of getting in this year! I got an invite yesterday, and still haven't heard from 10 schools yet.

Well I'm working as a Research Associate now, so I'll keep doing that! the money is good girl!!! I have only covered the bio. I need to get my physics down though! good luck to you, and if it comes down to taking it in august, then let's kick some ASS!!!

I took the Kaplan Test Drive MCAT last Feb and then the real test last April.

When I walked out of the test drive, I thought that verbal and bio didn't seem too bad and phys sciences was pretty tough. My scores were 9V, 8P, and 13B

My impressions of the real test were the exact opposite. Phys sciences was easier than I expected and verbal and bio seemed harder. My actual scores were 12V, 10P, and 11B.

I don't know if there is any correlation here, but make of it what you will. Oh, and if it matters, I didn't take a prep course, so the test drive was my only structured "full-length" exam.

I just got my test drive back
7V 8P 9Bio

Is this really bad, or is scoring scewed?

On other tests, I've gotten ~2 to 3 higher on each section.
I consistently get 9's Verbal (boo! I hope I can bring this up), 11ish Physical Sciences, 12ish Bio.

Please help!
Thanks

Actually if all don't already know (you all probably do -- but anyway...the curve on verbal is incredibly narrow. (i.e. even on the full lengths, more than 9 wrong is usually less than a 10 --- so a 75/85 can mean a 9 on some tests. For example on AAMC II 75/85 was a 7 (i think).