Kaplan Tests Overstate scores??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok-- So I have taken practice Kaplan 1 and most of 4.

On Kap 1:

PS - 11 (Missed 27 questions)
VR - 9 (Missed 9 questions)
BS - 9 (Missed 25 questions)

On Kap 4:

PS - 11 (Missed 27 questions)
VR - 11 (Missed 16 questions)
BS - didn't take... it was Father's day.

So the question is... How does missing 27 give you an 11?? Is this inflation? I know the Kaplan is harder, but can this be right? I am concerned about being confident in these 11's. I'd be happy hitting 11's.... Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...Are you sure you have the right conversion? I was in the missing 14 questions region and was getting 11's. I might be wrong but I'd guess your conversions are messed.

I'll check when I get home.

Kaplan PS is notoriously hard... those score predictors are dead on, i've taken AAMC and Kaplan tests, and although these tests look a lot different from each other the scaled scores are accurate

UMP said:
Kaplan PS is notoriously hard... those score predictors are dead on, i've taken AAMC and Kaplan tests, and although these tests look a lot different from each other the scaled scores are accurate

Agreed. When I took AAMC and Kaplan tests to prepare, I got around the same range of scaled scores on both types of tests. However, on the Kaplan tests, I missed A LOT more questions to end up with the same scaled score. Kaplan tests are all well and good (especially early in your prep) but make sure you take at least one or two AAMC tests under real testing conditions before the real thing, because there are definite differences...

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
Hmm...Are you sure you have the right conversion? I was in the missing 14 questions region and was getting 11's. I might be wrong but I'd guess your conversions are messed.

no, his conversions are dead on, I just looked online at Kaplan... you can miss 34 questions and still get a 10 on Kaplan 1 PS :eek: ... but its so much harder than the real thing the conversions translate well

curve of test is dependent on the the difficulty of the test = Kaplan's tests are hard... :thumbup:

BrettBatchelor said:

I am using the conversions posted here:

I noticed that missing 27 on all of the tests lands you between 9 and 11. Mostly 11.

Could these be wrong?

KAPLANS TESTS ARE HARD.. you can miss more and still get the same score.. like someone already said.. take a real AAMC test or two or three to get a better idea of the test... i would recommend taking 7,8, and 9 for a whole range of really easy to really hard question types... and please dont think you can miss 30 on the real thing and get like a 12! :rolleyes: